Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:06 PM   #1

When taking photos of Little League, Soccer, etc events, do you need a release?

Can you just take the photos and pass out your cards w/website for parents to go online and order?

Any help in this area is very much appreciated.

stlphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:27 PM   #2

I am not a lawyer. If you really want to treat this as a business, you would talk to a lawyer. Advice from me will not stand up in court, and that is where you might end up.

My guess is that you are on the very edge of needing it.
One of the problems is that the photos on your web site will also act like advertising for your skills. And you absolutely need a release to do that. You could try to argue that you're not doing that, but unless you protect those photos from being seen by others, then to some extent they are advertising your skills to other web site viewers.

You clearly have no right to sell the images to anyone other than the parents of the child. If you did, without a release, that would be quite bad as well.

The league might also have some rules that govern photos and the selling of them. Of course, if they are using public sports fields, they might not be able to do that.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:48 PM   #3

I do believe you are walking a thin line. Just as the above post, I am not a lawyer but I've been looking into this as well. From what I gather, if you are just taking photos of the game, then you are ok. If however you are making a certain child the focus of the photo, then you could be in a bit of trouble.

My wife spends a lot of time on the MPIX forum and they have a lot of good information about the business side of photography. Maybe you could take a look there. http://www.mpix.com

Better yet, you could contact a local lawyer for legal advise.

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 2:51 PM   #4

Not an expert but if you just take pictures for yourself, then it is OK but if you plan to sell them, then you better talk to the league first.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:33 PM   #5

If you were to start walking around our LL complex, taking pictures of children, you might wind up speaking with law enforcement officers.

If you were to start posting photos of children on the internet, without having written parental and League approval, you might wind up speaking with an attorney...your defense attorney.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 7:36 PM   #6

Personally (as a parent) having someone post ANY photos of my child online without my personal ok would NOT go overlooked.

If you were taking game photos of your child that was playing and my son happened to be in the backround, team photo, etc.. that's different. Going off the fact that it was a PERSONAL online photo album. A photographers site for advertisment is different.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote