Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 16, 2003, 5:50 PM   #1

Default Where is PhotoSIG..?

Sorry to post this question here at Steves', but PhotoSIG has been unreachable for nearly a week. Back on April 11th, they switched servers and the page I get says that the new DNS should be resolved in 24 hours or so.

It's now five days past that time. Is anyone able to get to it..?
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2003, 7:01 PM   #2

I reach Photosig with no problems (not that I ever go there). Try http://216.93.175.53
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:52 PM   #3

I can't get there either although its no great loss I was curious to see the changes
d77avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2003, 9:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
I reach Photosig with no problems (not that I ever go there). Try http://216.93.175.53
Thanks - that worked, but I can't even begin to describe the problems there. Tons of "internal server" errors, thumbnails won't display, etc., etc. Maybe I'll wait another week...
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:07 PM   #5
Administrator

Anytime someone changes servers or DNS you will need to reboot your PC. If using a cable modem or DSL service you need to also shut the modem off and wait a minute or so and then turn it back on -before- restarting Windows. Both the modem and Windows caches DNS entries to speed things up.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 4:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Anytime someone changes servers or DNS you will need to reboot your PC.

-Steve
Thanks for the reply, but if that were true, we'd be rebooting our computers constantly. No, that's not it. It's a DNS problem, but it lies somewhere in someone else's routers.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 4:42 PM   #7

Not that I know much about this site, but if you click on this and keep hitting 'refresh' you eventually get in. (session may expire)

I'd put it down to that pretty girl featured on the home page and the site getting overloaded with too many hits!

http://216.93.175.53/go/main;jsessio...EAC54497DC7B11
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 7:32 AM   #8

Who cares, I stopped going there some time ago. You can post rubbish and they'll say it's good and try to get you to rate theirs.

Too many people don't critique properly.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 8:36 AM   #9

steve6

Where do you post pictures for *good* critiques? I was thinking of trying photoSIG for this, but I agree... very few of the comments seem to really be more helpful than "very nice picture!" or "Wow! that is amazing!"

LarryJ & Steve

LarryJ is mostly right. If configured correctly routers should have proper expiration times on their their DNS caches (I forget the suggested times.) Unfortunately, the reality is that many companies just configure their routers (and other caches) to never expire. This is really annoying (and dumb, IMHO) as it saves time in the short term and screws people in the long term.

But I don't know what Windows' DNS cache timeout is, or what they set on the cable Terminal Adapters (they don't modulate sound, they are *not* a modem!) I've never had to reboot my PC when I changed a DNS entry, so I assume it does it right.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Where do you post pictures for *good* critiques? I was thinking of trying photoSIG
I find here's as good as anywhere.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote