Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Why did you get a new digicam?
old one obsolete/new toy lust 21 70.00%
broken power switch 1 3.33%
other mechanical breakage 3 10.00%
quit working, cause unknown 1 3.33%
other 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 27, 2006, 6:51 AM   #11

My first digital camera was the excellent but clunky Fuji FinePix A210, which was great, but eventually its small 1.5 Inch LCD screen and xD format got to me. Although it is still with me, I don't really use it at all.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:19 PM   #12

My first digicam was a Sony F717 and I still have it - wouldn't have replaced it if it hadn't developed problems. While the pictures are fine, the EVF/LCD are very yellowedand only useful for framing. The card reader no longer reliably reads a card (didn't matter which one). So I replaced it with an FZ30 which I sold a month later - the quality of the photos (detail captured) wasn't as good as the Sony, and the IS didn't seem to help me enough to get clear, sharp pictures reliably. I'm hoping that my current Pentax *ist will give me as much fun and pleasure as the Sony did.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:34 AM   #13

BillDrew wrote:
I suspect obsolence and/or "better toy" lust is the main reason for getting a new digicam.
Hi Bill, in my case, "Better toy lust" is the reason.

My firstwas a Coolpix 950, still working. Got the zoom system "out of track" 2 times, but I repaired it my self. Still use it and love this 2 Mpix camera. A big plus is it's compatible with all my film Nikon flashes (classic Nikon TTL compatible)
The second was a Minolta D7, major reason: 28-200 zoom, manual setting and focus.
My actual is a D7i, will keep it a while , I have other priority for now :?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 8:56 PM   #14

Only one digital for me- Minolta D7hi. Manual zoom/focus. PC sync takes up to +-400v. EVF eye sensor. RAW. AA battery gives me the ability to get batteries anywhere if the rechargeables go. Nice lens. No dust problems. Live histogram.

Basically, the camera doesn't intrude itself into my shooting. What I get for results reflect only on me, not the camera. Exactly what I wanted. If this one breaks, I will either repair it or replace it with another. Unless, of course something REALLY better comes along.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:50 PM   #15

You can only pick one Each time it was mostly new toy lust.
Only one has failed so far and it was my fault, they don't work well with water inside.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 5:39 AM   #16

My first digicam was a Casio QV3000, I think, 3MP. It is still going strong. After that I bought a Minolta D7. It broke after a few years of use - the mechanical zoom broke. I sent it in for repair, and Minolta replaced it with a new D7i, which I still have. Then I bought a Fuji S2, my first dSLR. Really bad camera. Fuji really messed up the AF on that camera. So I dumped it for a Kodak SLR/n - a fabulous camera and still my number one. I recently bought the Sony R1 to replace the D7i. With the exception of the Fuji S2, I have been happy with all my cameras and all are still functional. Although, I need to look for a new home for the D7i.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 3:10 PM   #17

First Digital Camera was the Sony D770...a whopping 1.5 Megapixels in a DSLR with the fixed 5x Sony lens.

It's still working. Never a problem.

When the Nikon D200 arrived, I bought a pair of Lexar 2GB 133x CF cards. Inserted one in the the D770 and it breathed new life into the old D770.

It was about "camera lust" but it was also about time to upgrade!
reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 4:18 PM   #18

Nothing went wrong with my first Digicam. Ditto for the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh...

I will admit that I'm extremely careful with anything that appears to be "fragile" on a camera (battery compartment doors, CF compartment doors, etc.), since I have seen my share of failures reported.

It's a constant search for perfection. There can be some differences between cameras that can make one better than another, depending on what you're shooting.

However, the photographer's skill is more important than the differences in cameras in most conditions, even compared to an older camera model.

Any of them require some getting used to (metering behavior, AF limitations, speed of operation, control layout, etc.), and most are capable of taking great photos in the right hands. Ditto for bad photos (sorry, but no perfect cameras yet).

I've still got a Coolpix 950 that I use from time to time (I like the swivel body and I like the macro ability). It's terribly slow by today's standards. But, it is very capable of taking some nice photos. I've got 8x10" prints from this camera hanging next to prints from 35mm film that look just as nice (if not better) from typical viewing distances, even though it's only 2 Megapixels.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 7:30 PM   #19

My first camera was a hp photosmart R707.The screen would always diplay a nice image, but after I took the photo it would come out with a different white balance, and would always be too dark. It also took forever to focus andyou would hear the lense grinding. Eventually I became in need of a a better camera with more features and better zoom. The amount ofnoise in the dark areas of the pictures drove me crazy too.
photoshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:34 PM   #20

What went wrong with my first digicam...this is a story I like to tell actually...too bad my wife won't know about it this time.

My first digicam was a Minolta Dimage X, great camera..I loved it. Small, thin, could take it anywhere.

She took our oldest son, 5 at the time to SeaWord while I was at work. When they got there, she pocketed the tickets and threw everything else she would need into her purse, wallet, camera and a bottle of water.

After walking around a bit, her back feels a little damp. Turns out the cap to her water wasn't completely on. It may have been salvaged had she left it alone and maybe let it dry out, but she turned it on and off a couple times to see if it still worked.

I was very upset that day..but it prompted by second digicam purchase, a Canon Powershot S50, which isn't allowed anywhere near her purse and those bottles of water she keeps in it.
Vandurin is offline   Reply With Quote