Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Why did you get a new digicam?
old one obsolete/new toy lust 21 70.00%
broken power switch 1 3.33%
other mechanical breakage 3 10.00%
quit working, cause unknown 1 3.33%
other 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9, 2006, 12:01 AM   #21

My first digital was a Nikon Coolpix 950 that required warranty service because of a broken latch on the battery door and a balky mode/power switch. I still have that camera but, despite taking care with the battery door, it is broken again and requires adhesive tape to keep the batteries in place and in contact. The switch is balky again too. Then again, it has something like 20,000 shots on it.

I managed to upgrade because my wife needed a camera for a trip she was taking to New Hampshire. She had thought I was nuts to buy the first one but the idea of not having to pay for film and processing appealed to her. I let her have my 950 on the condition that I could get something to replace it. I am still using the Nikon E995 that replaced the 950. After about 25,000 shots on that one, its levers and switches are getting a bit stuttery. It also has a prominent hot pixel right in the middle of the image frame. I also managed to put a burn on the CCD last October while leaving it on the tripod too long pointed at the sun.

I just bought a used Konica-Minolta 5D but expect to continue to use the E995 as a street/portable camera.

scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 3:16 AM   #22

My first real digicam (not counting those lame web cam/digi cam hybrid you get as gift from credit card company) was a Nikon Coolpix 995.
I know nothing about digicam at the time I bought it. It was recommended to me by a friend who works in a construction company and have been using the same model.
I would consider myself lucky cause although I don't really like the Coolpix 995 now, nevertheless it is a great camera for newbie.
After using it for a few years and learnt a bit more about digital photography, I realise I need more than the Coolpix 995 can offer.
I need better zoom range, better control of the zoom function, better speed etc etc.
And now I 've got my FZ-30.
misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote