Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Why did you get a new digicam?
old one obsolete/new toy lust 21 70.00%
broken power switch 1 3.33%
other mechanical breakage 3 10.00%
quit working, cause unknown 1 3.33%
other 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:06 AM   #1

I am curious about the most common failure of digicams. I suspect obsolence and/or "better toy" lust is the main reason for getting a new digicam.

In my case, the first digicam is still working (at 480x640 - 0.3Mp) and so is my second (Casio 3000), but I did recentlybuy the KM 5d in a fit of new toy lust. The Casio's on/off switch is a bit sticky so I think that is the most likely thing that will bring it tothe end.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:19 AM   #2

i started with a Dicksmiths 1.3mp. Cost $140NZD at the time. I thought it was a good price. Pic quality was terrible and was only good for posting things on onlline trading websites.

Upgraded to better the quality

Then moved up to a SONY DSCW5. Bought this for around $750NZD with512memstickbag, travel recharger and extra batts. This was a great camera., i loved it. When i was considering buying this cam i joined this forum i think and tht how it all started.

I then felt i wanted a more versatile cam and big zoom. So i upgraded again. I sold te sony and bought a PANASONIC FZ30

This is my current cam and i love it. Great all rounder and getting some great shots and im learning so much using it.

On the horizon i am seeing a DSLR maybe sometime next year. I wil see. BUt i love wat i have seen from the 30d canon

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 7:45 AM   #3

Bought a Casio QV-11 in 1997 or so, 320x240 toy that netted me what would have been a few excellent pictures but I couldnt even print decent wallet size prints.

In around 2002 I bought a used Olympus D550z 3mp camera and began enjoying photography. Made some excellent 8x10's, and was then totally sold on digital. Camera was big, slow, fully automatic, had a silly motorized zoom and poor wide angle, and I wanted to take more controll of my pictues.

I upgraded to a Minolta A1. Fantastic camera, let me forget about it and go auto, or grab as much controll as I thought I could handle. Image quality started to get disapointing, especially since I often found the need to use iso400 or 800 to get some of my snapshots. The camera was also a little slow at times (as is any non-slr).

Enter the Minolta 5D. Now, and only now, *I* am running the show! I have no more excuses, the bad pictures are all my doing. The camera reacts as fast as I can or faster. Any FOV I can dream I can buy a lens for. Iso1600 can give superb results.

SO, the first camera was replaced since it was useless as a photography tool. The second because there was better out there, and I was becoming a bit more advanced as a photographer. The A1 was replaced mostly because bigger better faster was availible, and I felt a little restricted by it.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 7:58 AM   #4

BillDrew wrote:
I am curious about the most common failure of digicams. I suspect obsolence and/or "better toy" lust is the main reason for getting a new digicam.
Yup, the steady march of time. I wanted manual functions and more MP (my first one was an Olympus D-620 with only 1.4MP and was totally automatic). I gave it away to an artist in town and he's still using it.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:30 AM   #5

My first digicam, a Pentax Optio 33L, is still working fine. I keep it in my purse or briefcase in case I see a shot I've got to grab. I upgraded to a Panasonic FZ20 because I wanted to get away from fully automatic settings, learn how to use manual controls and do some creative things that just are not possible with a totally automatic P&S.

I'm not knocking P&S cameras at all. Mine introduced me to the joy of photography and inspired me to dig deeper and learn more. The ability (with a P&S) to shoot a higher ratio of keepers - or at least shots that can be redeemed with some cropping and other PP work - until one gains confidence is a big plus.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:30 PM   #6

My first (ever) camera was Minolta Dimage 7i which I bought in February 2003. Originally I was looking Canon Powershot G3 but in the end I chose Minolta because of its manual/mechanical zoom and wider zoom range. I guess taking 4500 shots in two years tells how I liked it despite of it being very power hungry camera and real AA NiMH "tester". Camera's optics is still in front line of fixed lens digicams and controls are completely equal (in fact much less menu based) to couple current digicams which could be called as somewhat good manual control cameras.

I skipped two next updates/newer cameras and was going to continue despite newer cameras having Anti-Shake and RAW buffering but after merging of Konica and Minolta and announce of dumbed down A200 in Fall 04 I started following digicams more closely. Because of lack of any news for real successor of Minolta's prosumer line I started checking availability and prices of KonicaMinolta A2 which had superior controls and features compared to any other camera and in winter I was considering buying it very seriously but I decided to wait for PMA05 if there would be announce of real successor. After ending of PMA I started searching shops which had A2 in stock and noticed almsot everyone who had it in product list stated bad availability/not in stock and in the end I had to go through half dozen big central German shops untill I managed to find one Swedish shops which had it in stock. It looked much like that shop was about only shop in this area of Europe having so it should be needless to say I ordered one immediately.

I could have continued with "old" camera but I really didn't like trend towards me-too dozenware Point&Prays with menu surfing crappy controls and A2 had some major upgrades, Anti-Shake, two control dials meaning way more efficient controls, big capacity Li-Ion battery, much longer 544x408 videos, real "super fine" EVF with 922 000 pixels so I think that could be kept as rational update.

In fact that camera is still ultimate prosumer in many aspects, control layout beats even low end DLSLRs... current two years newer cameras are still trying to "claim throne" with crappy low resolution max. ~230 000 pixel EVFs/LCDs, also well working auto EVF/LCD sensors apparently haven't been seen since then basing to reviews.
Also video capability came really into need in last June's 14th day when nice thunderstorm rolled over place with nice downpour and strong downburst which would have been impossible to capture with still camera so I'm definitely going to stay away from "D"SLRs until they have dropped ballast of 70+ something old structure designed for entirely other sensor format.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:20 AM   #7

My first digital was a SiPix StyleCam Blink, then I got a Kodak DC3200 (1 megapixel). Bought a Concord Eye-Q Go LCD (1.5-mp?) after a while, and sold the DC3200 to my younger brother. The Concord went bad after a couple of months, so I returned it and got a Kodak CX4200 (2mp). Not too long after that, my Canon AE-1 developed the dreaded mirror-box squeak, so I bought a Minolta DiMage Z1 to replace it. The Z1 is my "main camera" now. (With the ZCA-100 filter adapter, it's kind of big for a belt case, so I got a Canon A410 to carry on my bike rides.)
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:17 AM   #8

I started with a Logicam Pocket digital, as I wanted something small I could carry with me on my road bike. I was never impressed with the quality, and bought a Sony Stylus. It worked well until I dropped it and the clam-shell cover came off. It would have cost more to fix than to replace, so I bought an Olympus. That gave me more control, but I never liked the ergonomics. I sold that and bought a newer Stylus. But when the Sony T1 came out, I fell in love. I gave the Stylus to my girlfriend, and I still have the T1. It is great to be able to carry a decent quality camera in your shirt pocket. However, it has its shortcomings. Since I had a number of Minolta lenses from my film SLR days, I bought a 5D, and I am in love again!
Yno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:54 PM   #9

I'm on my 4th. The only one I've had break was a Sony, which happened within two days of buying it and thus was replaced under warranty. All upgrades have always been simply because I wanted more features, better pictures etc.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:54 PM   #10

My first digicam is still working like a champ. I used it for a few years then my Son took it to IRAQ for 13 months. All was well when he packed his seabag for his return home. Upon his return the cam was no longer firing up the LCD. I was going to send it in. Then I was going to trade it in. Then I took it apart and cleaned a years worth of sand and grit, cleaned the contacts. Put the fool thing back together. To my surprise it worked when I got done. It's working fine. Bought in august of 2001 the little KODAK 1.3 mp DX3215 is now in the hands of my 4 year old Grandson. Mind you now, his dad helps.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote