Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:07 PM   #1

I am trying to take a landscape pic with my child standing in foreground. In background I wanna cover a big grass area and the sky. (Itried it in ample sunlight around noon time with sunlight coming from side).

Th problem is if I meter the sky and AE lock it, face becomes very dark and if I do vice-versa sky comes out almost white. I want aproper exposer for my child as well as sky so that they both come out in their true colors.

If camera model info is helpful, I am trying it with sony dsc-R1. I tried various modes(even manual settings etc..) but didn't get the desired results.

Thanks for your help,

vishal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:15 PM   #2

Always spot meter off the face and then, if the sky is too bright, use a graduated grey (or Neutral Density) filter to tone down the brightness of the sky before you take the shot. This should prevent the sky from blowing out and keep your son correctly exposed.

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:31 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply.

Does it mean that if after spot metering the face, sky comes out brown out, there is no other way to tone it down without the help offilter ?

vishal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:09 PM   #4

Another thing you can try if you don't have a graduated ND filter (easiest solution), and if the distances can work out right is to use the on-board flash assuming that your child is within flash range (I'd use the lowest setting first). The flash will lighten the face but not affect anything beyond it's range. I don't use flash very much so I'm not really good at it, and it's always seemed to me that distances are critical (too close and you blow it out, as well as the flash "flattening" your subject - i.e., if taken straight-on it will take away shadows that give an objectits "3D" feel. I'm not very good explaining it all). Experiment with different camera/flash settings and see if you can get a good compromise.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:02 AM   #5

Yeah you can try using flash as suggested. Another thing you can do is buy a reflector and have your child hold it in the correct angle so that it lights up his face.

I do it the Macgyver way, I use the reflector shield I use for my car with success. I would set it on the ground or have them hold it as a reflector. Basically you need to light on their face, but not too harsh.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote