Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 20, 2003, 7:18 PM   #1
Default Where do they all go??

What do people do with their old cameras?
I would love to get a better camera but hate to fork out the $$ for one. :roll: :roll:
I stopped by a couple local camera shops that sell alot of used film equipment and one said no one brings any in to sell and the other said they're very choosy with what they buy from people.
Looking at their prices and what things go for on ebay, I can get a new one for the same money.
I'll end up buying a new one. Got my eye on a D7i. I'm just picturing all these nice Nikon 990's, 995's, Minolta 5's and 7's sitting around collecting dust when I could be using them, lol.
bswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2003, 10:17 PM   #2

It's called eBay! You'll find thousands of used cameras there as well as millions of news ones. Good luck!

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 12:17 AM   #3

I personally don't trust ebay. In my opinion, buying from ebay is a gamble. On one hand you cold be getting the deal of a lifetime (though with so many people bidding on ebay, I doubt it) or you cold get some defective grey market model of a lesser camera than you ordered (i.e. a cp950 instead of a cp995) with no documentation and no way to return it. I once bought something from ebay, When i got it, it was broken, despite the guys good seller rating and i had to ship it back to him for a replacement, meaning i had to pay shipping and insurance twice. Though i finally got the product and it now works, it was definitely not worth the hassle. I think bhphotovideo.com may have some used digicams in its used equipment section and i know oly sells theirs. But i agree, there should be some respectable company that opens up a refurb digicam online shop.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 10:58 AM   #4
Default Ebay is the way

I recently bought the Canon S400 and sold my old Kodak DC4800 3.1 MP on Ebay for $300.00. I was happy with the price I got though a little higher would have been nice.

I disagree with the post that said not to trust Ebay. Ebay would not be the biggest site on the internet for nothing. That being said, look at user ratings. You have to go with a gut feel on some. If someone has only a rating of 3 or 6 or something does not mean they are not a good seller, it just means they are a new seller. Also if someone has a rating of say 110 and they have two negatives, just take a look at what might have happened. Chances are they people who complained were at fault or just complainers. You can't make everyone happy.

I have a rating of 99 with 100% satisfaction. I have been doing Ebay for about 3 years. I think you can get some good deals and some bad ones. Just do your research first. And if you are selling your camera on there, put a reserve of what your minumum you want to sell it for on the auction.

Good luck with it,
mrtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 11:46 AM   #5

I have been an Ebay customer form several years and have no complaints. Rules that I ues:
1. Know what the price of the item is new or refurbished. Why pay more than if you bought the item new.
2. Read seller reviews. Negative complaints are not always bad. see how the seller handles the complaints.
3. If the price is too good -- buyer beware.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 1:55 PM   #6

What do people do with their old cameras?
... I collect them, I'm sure a lot of people here do too :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 2:52 PM   #7

Half.com (Non bidding version of Ebay) and Amazon are some others you can look for used cameras.
I always email a question to the seller before purchasing an item on Ebay or Amazon. If they want your business, then they will get back to you as soon as they can, but if they take longer than a few days to respond, then they most likely arent worth buying from.
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 9:44 PM   #8

I got a price quote from a reputable used camera equipment company I found online, and sent my equipment in for cash. They returned the equipment, stating that they could only give me less than a third of what I was originally quoted! I sold the separate pieces on eBay for $75 more than their original quote, even after subtracting the cost of selling the items! Everyone who purchased the items from me on eBay provided me with positive feedback, stating that they were satisfied with the quality of the items they purchased.

I have had a positive experience both buying and selling on eBay, and it has been profitable doing business both ways. I have always received satisfaction, although in one instance shipping was VERY slow.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 8:02 AM   #9

This thread has made me wonder if we shouldn't have a buy/sell forum here. Ignoring the legal issues for steve.... it could work. There are definitly some people here I'd buy direct from. Personally, I don't use ebay althought I know lots of people who like it. Just the thought of being scammed... it would really piss me off.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote