Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 3, 2006, 3:01 PM   #1

Hey there I am wondering which is the best way of batch resizing images to a certain size. Is photoshop able to do this by adding a specific action? And is it able to save them at the same time.

I am looking to be able to resize, and also save at the same time so I dont need to save every single file!

Or maybe there is a specific app which does the job? Which are the best ones?

Anyway Thanks for some input
andreaclassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2006, 6:49 PM   #2

You can easily do this within an action.
But if you PhotoShop CS2, you can do it directly from the bridge (and leverage PS.) Just go
Tools-> PhotoShop -> Impage Processor...

And it lets you set a max height and width, where to save it and to what format. Just select a set of images and run the command.

I used to make my own action to do it, but no longer.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 8:38 PM   #3

It can be done in PhotoShop, but I think IrfanView is easier to use (but I do have an old version of PhotoShop so that comparison might not be valid now). Would be interesting tosee the speed comparison of PS and IrfanView: I'd bet on IrfanView against the bloatware that PhotoShop has become.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 12:31 AM   #4

It wouldn't surprise me if it were faster as well. The question is if its as feature rich.
You can tell PS to scale it proportionally so that the longest side is size you specify (so the same dialog works for portrate and landscape pictures. You can apply an action before it does the resizing (if you want) and save it to a directory of your choosing in a format of your choosing.

I find it fast enough that I don't worry about it. But I wouldn't be surprised if irfanview was faster.

Thinking about it, I should see if a newer version has come out. My copy of irfanview is kinda old.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 12:31 PM   #5

I find Irfanview to be pretty sophisticated for most bulk work. You can set the longest side to a specified size or have it reduce or increase the width and height by a given percent. You can select whether you want a resample or resize and whether to increase the size of smaller images.

You can send the resized images back to the same folder with various rename options, the best of which is probably to just add numbers in front of the resized images. If you always follow the same protocol you can easily know which are the resized images and simplify your folders.

A couple of things I really like about Irfanview are the ability to determine your thumbnail size and the ability in the newest version to include sub-folders in the thumbnails.

By the time Photoshop opens I will have the thumbs selected and into the conversion in Irfanview. I don't know whether it is faster for the actual conversion, but it is a lot faster getting started.

Once you get into actions Photoshop is a lot more sophisticated. But for sorting and simple bulk work Irfanview is hard to beat.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 3:32 PM   #6

microsoft image resizer 'powertoy'

adds <resize image> to right click menu

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 10:35 AM   #7

I'm using Fast Stone, small program, but powerful also fast
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote