Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2003, 4:50 PM   #1
Default So why did you chose the camera that you have?

R u still in love w/ it?
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2003, 9:09 PM   #2

I chose my camera because it was a direct replacement for all of my SLR equipment. It looks and feels like my old SLR, and the zoom range is almost twice what I had with my old camera without any additional lenses! It has all of the "bells and whistles" that I could ever imagine, and, (of course) it takes great pictures! I am still very much in love with it.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 9:22 PM   #3

I chose a Fuji 3800. I was looking for my first digital with a wide angle and a larger than the standard 100mm telephoto. I wa salso looking for some basic manual settings.

It became clear that a small wide angle camera does not exists so i had to forgo that option in my selection. The 3800 ha sa wonderful 230mm to play with and the features are idseal for me ... well i would like 400 ISO but there you go.

I do LOVE the camera, but it's just too bulky. Finding a case is a nightmare and i don't take it everywhere becaus eit does not fit in my pocket, even in my large pocket hiking shorts i use a lot.

As a result, i will buying the recently released pentax 450, it has more featiures and a 19mm zom and a lot more compact.

I do love the fuji but the bulk means i miss shots, especially social ones.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 9:32 PM   #4

I bought a Canon A40. I had $250 to spend, and many people on another fourm I frequent recommended the A40. It cost $249, so it worked out nicely. I really like the camera.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:53 PM   #5

I bought an Olympus C-700 because of its long optical zoom (380mm), and I got it cheap because Oly was just about to release the C-730 (although I didn't know it at the time).

The new C-750 is tempting with its improvements, but without a focus assist beam it's still not enough for me to replace the C-700.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 3:15 PM   #6

I have moved through the Olympus starting with the Olympus 320L, my first digital camera. I upgraded from my Olympus C3000 to the C4040 because the prices plumeted when the C5050 was released. The C4040 provided better optics and 4mp. I would like for Olympus to introduce an ultra zoom with photo assist beam and image stablization. I will give them a couple of years to progress to this camera and if not goodbye Olympus.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 7:52 PM   #7

When I began to investigate digital cameras I narrowed down the choice to the Fuji S602, Sony F717, Minolta 7hi and the Nikon 5700.

The Sony quickly lost out when I saw the price of the auxilliary lenses and the weak external flash.

I agonized over the Minolta for a while but the price of the camera with a Minolta flash being beyond my budget plus the lack of Minolta auxilliary lenses pushed it off the list.

I got excited over the Olympus C750 for a while but it wasn't in the stores yet and I hadn't seen any reviews either. This made me realize that I was after optical lens range

I began looking closer at the Nikon. It had better focal length than the Fuji and 5mp to boot! The decision was made and the 5700 was purchased along with the Nikon telephoto and wide angle lenses.

The 5700 doesn't make use of the Nikon external flash features very well so I opted for a Vivitar 285 HV which works great.

The low light focus isn't great but then my Minolta X-570 35mm would have problems with the split image prisms blacking out in low light and telephoto. I just got a laser pointer, fabricated a bracket to hold it and I get focus locks 80% of the time even when the exposure is 8 seconds.

The noisy image at ISO 800 gets fixed in Neat Image.

I bought a filter adapter from NextPhoto and use a UV or polarizer as required.

Overall I enjoy the camera and have had many compliments on the sharpness and richness of the images. I do use a monopod most of the time to steady the camera.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 8:38 PM   #8

I started into the digital arena with an Olympus D490z. Nothing was wrong with it, I decided that I wanted a 4MP.

A year later I bought an Olympus C4040z (my second choice) because I could not find a Canon Powershot G2 in stock anywhere. There was nothing mechanically wrong with the camera, did not think about how the all of the changes are buried in menus and in the end it drove me crazy. My mistake with that camera was the it was not truly what I wanted when I bought it, and I have come to finally learn is that if I settle and not get what I want, it is eventually doomed.

This February I bought a Canon Powershot G3, and I cannot tell you how happy with it I am. WB and Exposure Comp changes are readily at hand to make, other settings are just 2 levels down into the menu instead of the 3 or 4 that the Olympus C4040 was. Yes, sometimes the G# is a little slow to focus, but I can work around that. Couple it with my Canon S800 photo printer (and shortly my i9100), the prints are incredible. I was so thrilled with the results, I bought my wife an S230 Digital Elph a month later.

I sold the Olympus C4040 to a coworker, who brought the camera in for me to show her how to work a couple of features. I spent less than 5 minutes with it and I was ready to throw it against the wall; that is in comparison to show how much I am thrilled the my G3.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 10:25 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Bob Nichol
I got excited over the Olympus C750 for a while but it wasn't in the stores yet and I hadn't seen any reviews either.
The 750 will be in stores in May, within a few weeks.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 9:31 PM   #10

I chose the D100 because I needed to make money. And I have Hasn't quite paid for itself (and the lens) yet, but I still love it very much
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote