Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 23, 2003, 12:10 PM   #1
Default Invest in quality lenses?

I was considering buying a camera did all my homework and edged towards the Nikon F100. However, I started to read about the lastest digital offers, and have decided to hold off on any purchases until I have some more information. I understand that lenses, whether old or new, are fairly standardised. Sure, there are improvements ED glass, new coatings, USM, VR, AF-S, AF-D/G, etc. but lenses on the whole are well crafted (especially the more expensive ones). Thus, would it be wise to spend money on buying excellent lenses (I was going to purchase AF-2 17-35mm f/2.8, AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR IF, and the AF 28 70mms f/2.8 lenses for the F100), and purchase a camera like the Nikon D100 or the Canon D10 (as I read they should be sufficient to produce decent A4 size prints) instead of the more expensive ones (to see what convergence of technology the near future may bring)?

Aside from the focal length multipliers, I understand that the Nikon lenses (AF-D/G/S) are compatible with many digital cameras. I am also under the impression that the new lenses designed for digital cameras e.g. the Nikon AF-D 12-24 are no different from conventional lenses, but made to overcome the focal length multiplier and allow wide-angle shots to be taken. So, if I invest in expensive lenses, will I be wasting my money in terms of compatibility with future (at least Nikon) digital cameras? Your comment, help, and answers would be greatly appreciated.

Gizmoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2003, 12:42 PM   #2

No, you won't be wasting your money on expensive lenses if you want to mate them with a digital camera in the future. They have many benefits that have nothing to do with the camera being digital, even beyond what you list.

The usually have better AF motors (AF-S) which are never wasted.

Some have on-the-fly manual focus override. I believe that works independently of the body (anyone want to correct me?)

They might have a better manual focus grip and wider swing for greater fine focus control.

They have better weather sealing and overall construction (most of the time.)

Nikon has traditionally has considered lens backward-compatability to be very important. The G lenses have been the largest backward incompatability they've done in a really long time. As they say with the stock market "Past performance is not indicative of future returns". I can't guarentee anything, but I believe you would be safe buying Nikon lenses to use them with an F100 or a D100 now with the expectation that they would work with Nikon's next digital SLR.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 12:51 PM   #3

Can you all tell me what specs a quality lens will have?