Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 26, 2003, 11:09 AM   #1
Default Camera Comparisons

I am looking into getting my first significant digital camera. My basic requirements are:
* 3+ MP
* 6x+ optical zoom
* Creative controls yet simple enough for wife to use in point and shoot mode
* More compact than my Nikon 35mm film system
* Camera cost less than $1000

My basic candidates are:
* Olympus C-750
* Fuji F602z
* Minolta D7i
* Nikon 5700

Right now I am leaning towards the Olympus C-750 (pending release of production unit). Using the Imaging Resource "Comparometer" the C-750 seems to have the sharpest image. The main issue seems to be the reported and observed high "noise" level with this camera. I even downloaded the full "Far-Field Test" images for each of the cameras and compared them in a photo editor. I selected this image based on my thought that this image is closer to a "real world" shooting situation. The C-750 seems to have the sharpest image but suffers a little in the shadow detail. It really surprised me that the 4 mp Olympus C-750 image appears sharper than the 5mp Nikon 5700 image. I then downloaded the Nikon D1x image and it appears the Olympus image sharpness appears very close to the D1x image. My concern is this. Can this comparison be valid? Is the Olympus C-750 really that good, or is my evaluation approach that faulty? What do you all think?
bharritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links