Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 25, 2006, 9:56 AM   #1

Hi friends,

I'm a very seasoned backpacker/hiker, but I'm new at this whole SLR photography thing. =) I purchased my Nikon D50 a few months ago, and now I'm taking my first backpacking trip of the season.

I'm stumped as to how I should carry my camera though. I obviously want it to be very accessable so I can take pictures on the move - meaning not stuffed away in my main pack. But I also want it to be protected - meaning not just strapped around my neck.

What have other nature photographers come up with?

Right now I'm thinking of getting a small holster-style camera bag, and somehow attaching it to the front straps of my main pack. That way it will be right there on my chest, but still protected.

Is there a manufacturer that makes a bag that is created for this sort of attachment? Otherwise I'll have to jimmy-rig the holster bag somehow. Probably use small carabiners or something.

Thanks for any advice.
PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2006, 6:32 PM   #2

If you are backpacking I would guess your idea of the carabiners and a holster bag would work best - I don't backpack so I have no direct experience. I do dayhike and have come up with a reasonable solution for me. I use a hydration packwith a hipstrapso it is shorter than a full backpack. Then I have a padded fanny pack that I carry with it facing forwards that holds my camera and a spare lens (and perhaps a few other misc. items). My GPS can hang off of either the fanny pack or the hydration pack's hip strap (which is more around my waist). I don't know if you could do something like this by putting a fanny pack above a full pack's hip strap or not.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 6:47 PM   #3

I also backpack and I haven't bought a camera bag that's perfect for me. I currently have a shoulder bag that came with my packaged-purchase. But that bag is too big for my stuff and definitely not good for long (6-hour) hikes.

I think the best option is a toploading holster that straps to your waist or chest. For greatest value, I think this is the best one out there:

It also includes a chest harness. I just think it may be too big for me.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote