Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Whats your keep rate?
<1% 1 7.14%
<1.5% 3 21.43%
<3% 1 7.14%
<10% 4 28.57%
10% or more 5 35.71%
I dont keep any, my pictures suck 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 31, 2006, 1:09 PM   #11

Maybe it's because I started with film, but I seem to shoot many fewer photos than most others with digital. It also could be that I shoot mostly RAW, and have to take the time to convert and process each shot. This does get me to consider my pictures more before I shoot, and I seem to end up with a fair percentage of 'keepers'. (my definition - a picture I either print, post on my photobucket site, or do something with other than have it take up space on hard drive.)

That said, I am also not new to photography - I have been using the same 35mm SLR for nearly 40 years. Spent a decade shooting nothing but Tri-X, just to try and find its and my limits.

For those following this thread, if you are new to photography in general, or digital in particular, go ahead and take lots and lots of shots. But also take the time to analyze the pictures to find what works in which situations. Take advantage of the instant feedback, and the Exif info. Wish I had had these advantages when I was learning.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 4:01 PM   #12

Well, I agree for the most part with what Eric said. You get better at taking your shots as you get more skilled but you also throw out more because you get more critical. Thus the rate stays the same.

However, I'm not sure I agreewith the premise that anyone serious about photography only has a 1-2% keep rate. I would agree if we define 'keep rate' as anything worthy of 16x20 print size. If the definition of keeper is an image worth printing a 4x6 I think 1-2% is a bit low. A lot depends on what you shoot - I would argue if you're shooting landscapes and only have 1-2% keepers then I don't think you're doing enough planning. I shoot sports - and like wildlife you toss out a number of images because someone blinked or someone else got in the way of the image. But I still have around 25-30% keepers. Of course you could always argue that many aren't worth keeping. Which is an argument neither side can win. I guess what I would argue is: no matter how high your standards are - why can't you do more prep work to reduce your throw away rate.

And, don't forget - digital isn't completely free. Eventually the shutter will give way. Shooting 5,000 pics a month and somewhere between 10-20 months your camera may fail.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 9:59 PM   #13

When I go to a sports event, I shoot about 100 shots in a 2-3 hour period.

I submit 8 shots to the newspaper and they generally print 2 or 3.

So I guess my keeper rate is 2-3 percent or about 1 per hour.

I heard that the National Geographic pro's shoot about10,000 to 30,000 photos to get maybe 30-40 shots printed with a Nat Geo article.

That's a keeper rate ofone in three hundred to approx. one in a thousand!

Even a completely amateur "happy snapper" can take a great shot once in a while, but the better photographer you are, the more chances are of getting "keepers".

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote