Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which do i buy
Nikon 5700 3 27.27%
Minolta 7Hi 8 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 30, 2003, 4:49 PM   #1
Default Nikon 5700 OR Minolta 7Hi ???

Which do i buy,

I am looking at doing some amatuer close up action shots and long range surf photography.

Just for me and friends nothing to serious.

I am stuck on what one to buy.

What one has that the other doesnt it seems to make up in other areas??

Can you please help me!!

It is an endless cycle that is taking me from one to the other then back again.

Any help will be greatly appriciated.

timflemmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2003, 8:14 PM   #2

Just you can conclude what is best for you. The 2 cameras are very different , The 5700 has longer zoom, but the D7xx has 28mm in the wide end, the 5700’s zoom is electric, the D7xx is manual, etc and etc … at least now both the D7Hi and the 5700 are black :mrgreen:
After judging on the specs , reviews , threads from Minolta and Nikon forums (there are many thread on this topic),you should go to store and try both to see which one clicks you the most , which one is more comfortable for you in term of handling, commands positioning, operating ease …
Bring your CF card with you and take a few pics in store so you can judge the pic after.

PS: Also take into account any necessary accessory you must have for your need : for example D7Hi additional lens for longer zoom than 200 mm, or additional wide angle lens for the 5700, AA battery adapter , pricing of you favorite flash if you plan to get one later …
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 12:37 AM   #3

Hi Tim,

I was having the same problem as you few months back. I was going back and forth between Olympus C5050Z, Nikon CP5700 and Minolta 7Hi. I also love the brand Canon very much... It was a tough decision. :roll:

I finally decided on Minolta based on the following reasons:
1. The zoom is more precise as you can use your fingers to manually adjust it. Compared to C5050Z or CP5700, it is electronic.
2. The manual focus is also very accurate -> WYSIWYG !!
3. The batteries are using the normal AA batteries. So it is more convenient when you travel. I had the experienced once when I went to a country that uses different voltage and I could not charge my batteries ! Hence it would be useful if the digicam can use AA batteries.
4. The live histogram on 7Hi is a useful feature to have.

I can't say much about the image quality for C5050Z or CP5700 but if you want to find out how's the quality of 7Hi (my first outdoor photo experienced), checkout this link

I also took some pictures at dawn (as it was too early, it was kind of foggy too). http://community.webshots.com/album/70410135KCuwcF

Initially in my consideration, I was also worried about the higher noise level in 7Hi compared to others. But so far I am quite happy with the image quality. There are also softwares available to reduce them.. check this out http://www.neatimage.com/. But so far I have not had the change to require to enhance any of the images 8)

As I am also a new owner, I am still "testing" alot of stuffs with this toy. So far I found the AF is reasonably fast.

I have a Canon EOS and I would say 7Hi is the closest experience I could afford.
wahlao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2003, 8:42 AM   #4

I've just found theses 2850mAh alkaline AA's @ BestBuy in case any one need them for emergency (or use two CR-V3)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 7:35 AM   #5

I just bought my minolta dimage 7Hi a week ago. I previously owned a Canon G1. Let me tell you, it is AMAZING. Now there is noise in the photos, but this can be corrected using software, same kind of software most cameras have built in. Also one other downside is that the LCD doesn't flip move around so you can't hold the camera over your head for example and point the LCD down. That's really the only bad points I have about this camera so far.

The zoom is awesome, and if you're taking action shots, the 64mb memory will allow you to take 5mp shots one after the other in rapid fire which is awesome. I don't think the nikon holds up in this regard. Also if you're going to be outside a lot, using it near a beach, etc... you will want to protect that lens. With the nikon, you can't put a filter on the outside where as with the minolta, it fits 49mm UV filters you can buy for $15 so you will never harm the glass. You can always ditch the filter and buy another. The features this camera has are simply incredible. I'm using it for macro shots and it is just amazing what I can get out of it. You can even save settings for example, if you have different lighting conditions you regularly use. That way you don't have to adjust ISO, contrast, white balance, shutter speed, bla bla bla every time to take the same photo another day.

One main reason that deterred me from the nikon were people's comments that it was not very good in low light situations. Anyhow, I'm sure they're both great cameras but I am very happy with my minolta...
born2drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 9:36 AM   #6

I especially love the 7 fps “riffle” mode :mrgreen: (1.2 Mpix) (I would like to have a flash sync signal in this mode )
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote