Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:33 PM   #1

I currently get Shutterbug, and looking for 1 or 2 more. I was thinking Poplular Photography, any other suggestions would be great. Mainly looking for tips, tricks and idea mags. God knows Shutterbug has enough ads!!!!
Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2006, 7:06 PM   #2

Sad to say they're all pretty much adds and fairly unhelpful reviews (i.e. everything reviewed is the greatest thing out there with only slight itsy-bitsy downsides).

I get popular photography, outdoor photography and just started getting one more that escapes me - mostly since I have no idea why it started showing up. Outdoor photography is the better of the two that I get IMO. I'll probably let my pop photo subscription lapse - just doesn't seem to be too much in it that I find useful - but you might.

One thought - if you have a borders or similar near you then go there for a couple months and glance through a few of the mags and see which one suits your interests.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 7:44 PM   #3

The ads are what makes them not worth buying. A lot of then are scammers from Brooklyn also. I can't believe these mags let these stores post ads in their magazine.

I usually just go to my local Borders and B&N to read them. God knows I spend enough money for coffee at their cafe, that they don't need me to buy a magazine.

Also, you might be better off buying a book.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:49 PM   #4

If you use photoshop the best magazine there is would be :

It is always full of great usable tips & tricksconcerning photoshop CS2. I belong to NAPP and the magazine is part of the membership package but I have seen it for sale at Barnes & Noble.

Go to www.photoshopuser.com for more information.

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:19 AM   #5

pop photog - will probably not renew it for reasons already stated.

outdoor photography - not bad

PhotoPro - just received my first issue - higher quality paper, comes out 6 times a year I think. Looked interesting at Borders so I subscribed, figure I'd give it a try for a year. No opinion yet with just one issue.

Photoshop User & Layers Magazine- You get both of these with a NAPP membership but I'm sure you can subscribe without being a member, very good mags, I the Photoshop User cover to cover, the layers has stuff related to other Adobe products that I'm not interested in. I probably wouldn't subscribe to layers mag if I didn't get it for free.

jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 4:29 PM   #6

I dont buy a single magazine but I do read them. I get them from my local library and my school library for free. Being someone who just got into photography I think the articals are somewhat usefull. But I do notice a lot of the same info in every magazine. I dont get the lastest info from magazine anymore. This goes true for photography, computer products, electronics in general and a bunch of other things that update every weeks. I get all the news online instead of the mag because the mag are outdated by the time they go on the shelf.

The mag that I do read
pop photo
outdoor photo
shutter bug
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:06 PM   #7

I buy and read PC Photo. Seems pretty good to me. Figured I should post my
answer as you were so interested in my post. There are lots of ads as any of
them but I like some of those even as are educational and gives you info as
to who are competitors etc. Suggest you try an issue or look one over at store
or library if there.
P.S. I posted that screen shot from Pana regards the DMC!
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:13 PM   #8

Looks like I have my work cut out for me tomorrow....after mini-golf:lol:
Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:09 AM   #9

i've found PhotoGraphic to be a nice publication for the DSLR user...more content heavy than say Shutterbug (whichfeels like one big ad!)

might check out back issues from the library before subscribing...
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:03 PM   #10

I am finally down to receiving 0 magazines that I pay for.

I used to get
  • Outdoor Photography (Received since issue 1)[/*]
  • Digital Photo Pro (by the same folk who put out Outdoor Photographer) (Received since issue 1)[/*]
  • Nature Photographer[/*]
  • Photo Life (Received since issue 1)[/*]
  • Photo District News
One by one I let the subscriptions expire this year.

I find they all are repeats, the same articles get rehashed at the same times each year by different writers. I don't care for magazine equipment reviews they are usually out of date by the time the magazine comes out.

I still buy an occasional copy of Natures Best Photography, and receive a few free trade publications like PhotoNews and Rangefinder.

IMHO: the Web is a much better place to find information and images if you are willing to search a bit.
Use the Web, and save your money for equipment.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote