Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 11, 2006, 9:38 PM   #1

What do you all use besides a micro fiber cloth. Sometimes I get a water drop or two when I'm shooting out on the water and the lens filter needs a better cleaning at the end of the day.
sail978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:10 AM   #2

I have heard that it is better to try and clean the lens as least as possible? as the lens makeup is of high polished glass with various metals etched into the lens and each time it is cleaned you are wiping some of the etched metals away....I could also be wrong about all this but I believe it is better to screw a UV filter onto the lens (some call it a safety filter) which you can clean all day long without touching the actual lens itself....
staffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:44 AM   #3

I just use the rocket blower often.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:05 PM   #4

I wouldn't say there are "metals etched into the glass", but if the cleaning involvs touching the lens, I would do it as little as possible.

First use a blower ball (not with a brush, just the ball) and blow air over it to get rid of dust. You'll be surprised at how often this works. Don't use a spray bottle of compressed air or anything like that. Those have propellents mixed into them that could be left behind. Just get a blower ball. (I have one similar to the rocket that Rey mentioned.")

The problem is that there are coatings applied to the lenses that help with a variety of problems (like purple fringes around backlight things.) You don't want to damage that.

There are some cleaning solutions that you could use. ROR is one. Don't use solutions made for eye glasses, they don't have the same coatings (if they have any at all) and those cleaners could damage the lens.

I have a micro-fiber lens cleaning cloth that I use, but very rarely.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:23 PM   #5

I primarily blow on my lens, and that removes the dust.

About once every three or four months I might use a blower, followed by special lense tissue paper.

If there's a real stubborn "goobie" on my lens, I use a little dot of Canon lens cleaning solution and a very light removal of the spot using a lens cleaning cloth.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:56 AM   #6

Thanks guys.
sail978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:10 AM   #7

interesting.. i just use rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.. please don't be mad at me. :lol:
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:35 AM   #8

I keep a few of those eye glass cleaning thing in my camera bags. They sell it at costco for like $8 for a pack of 200 or something. Its really handy when my lense gets dirty on my camera. I hardly need to clean it though.

I use it more often on my own glass because it gets all dirty when the eye peice touch my glasses at the end of the day.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:27 PM   #9

Promaster makes a product called Optic Clean for use on photographic and optical lenses. just a couple of drops on a micro fiber cloth is all you need. don't put any liquid directly on the lens though, put it on the lens tissue or micro fiber cloth and then a little light rub and you should be good to go.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 1:22 AM   #10

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that using alcohol-based cleaning solutions can be harmful to lens coatings. I understand using lens tissues is also not a very good idea because they can actually cause scratches. Does anyone have any information on this? I use only the moisture from my breath and a good quality lens cloth and I keep a haze filter on my camera to protect the lens so I don't need to clean it too often.

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote