Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:29 PM   #21

Yeah, Mac Devotees are an interesting crowd. They really believe that their Macs are still as superior as they might have been 20 years ago and have not caught up with what is really happening.

I recently went to a computer store which, unbeknownst to me, was selling only Macs to buy a printer cable for my PC. The clerk asked me if it was for a Mac. I said "no, for my PC." With a snoddy attitude and a smirk on his face, he replied: "Sorry Sir, but we only sell real computers here, not PC's." What a jerk.

An acquaintance of mine, another member of the Mac Cult showed off his new Mac to me, popped in a DVD, and thought my jaw would drop and eyes pop since his Mac could actually playthe DVD, something he thought would be impossible for a PC. He was stuck in ca. 1985.

Those people are so out of touch with reality it is ridiculous. And that advertising campaign that they have now about the two guys coming out of their boxes, one a PC, the other a Mac, with the Mac ready to go play MP 3s or surf the web, and the PC having to first "load drivers" and study manuals, etc. is totally outdated. I haven't had to load a driver since the release of Windows XP. It is truly Plug'n Play.

And the myth about the superior processing power of the Mac's chips was finally put to rest whenApple recently switched to the supposedly "crawling" Intel chips because their IBM produced processors apparently could not keep pace.

I hate I Pods, since you can't just cut and paste MP3's into them but you got to go through their bulky i Tunes software which does not work well on a PC platform. And you can only load music from one designated computer, if you want to upload music anywhere else it wipes out everything you got stored. Very clunky, user unfriendly.

Steven Jobs managed to rekindle the cult following and myths when he returned to Apple in the late 90's. He is a gifted business man, but more a PR genius than a technical guru. Macs, while clearly looking slicker than most PC's, have been underperforming and overpriced machines for quite a while now, living legends but no longer forerunners. Apple's OS is notin any way more intuitive than Windows, and the only reason they might be more secure is because Viruswriters like towreak greaterhavoc by targeting the vast majority of computers, which happen to be Windows based. With firewalls and Anti-virus and Anti Spyware programs I have kept my PC clean for years nowdespite a permanently connected DSL line.

Enough ranting. But I am really tired of the arrogant smirk of thosestuck-up Mac devotees. This is not directed at the average Mac User, just those who believe that PC's are still cumbersome DOS machines running on 8MHz processors.

And now that Bill Gates (the "Anti-Christ", according to the Church of Mac disciples) turns out to become the greatest Philanthropist mankind has ever seen, I know where to put my money.

But one thing I have to admit, my friend does have a very cool HD widescreen by Appleto do her photoshop work. I am sure though that I could buy the same for my PC if I had the extra $$$.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:00 PM   #22

rduve wrote:
This is not directed at the average Mac User, just those who believe that PC's are still cumbersome DOS machines running on 8MHz processors.
8Mhz? That's a speed demon. :-)

My first "IBM compatible" PC was 4.77mhz. I replaced the motherboard later with an 8mhz "Turbo" motherboard. I've actually still got it (I'm somewhat of a "pack rat"). The last time I tried it, it still fired up (although the clock/calendar card quit working years ago and I don't think the OS supports newer dates). I'll make sure to check next time instead of just hiting the enter key at the date prompt (which defaults it to somethjing like 01/01/80).

Even the hard drive still worked when I tried it last, although the bearings were getting a bit loud (it's a Seagate Full Height 5MB drive attached to a Western Digital Compatible controller card using a custom EEPROM).

Who says magnetic media is not reliable? I've had that drive for more than 20 years. I haven't fired it up this year yet (the last time was over a year ago.

I guess I should plug it all in again soon to make sure it's still working OK, being the "speed demon" that it is with it's 8mhz "Turbo" motherboard and 640KB of RAM. No big deal if the disk drive bearings froze though (I've got two "huge" 20MB drives that have the same data on them). lol

I haven't checked any of my floppy disk backups in years though (so, I guess it's possible that they're bad by now). I still keep 'em though.

I'm not a big fan of Microsoft either. Pros and Cons to both Apple and Microsoft products.

Chances are, I'll end up going Linux for my primary desktop OS before all of the dust settles.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:19 PM   #23

Haha, I'd like to see you try and make a post here on that "turbo" 8MHz processor, hehe.

My Grandpa's computer is pretty bad, and this is the one he still uses every day, it's something like this.

8MB of RAM (I think he upped to 64MB)
32MHz processor
And it has a CD-ROM drive, that was a big thing when he bought it I think, hehe.

Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:22 PM   #24

I think since XP, MS has closed in quite nicely (although I do worry about Vista with each spec clarification that comes out). Remember too, that OS X (BSD Unix) and Linux share a common kernal heritage...they're both a poor man's UNIX system. X11 on OS X will allow you to run quite a few UNIX based apps. While lately, I've been less interested in Macs, with the intel switch it's increasing more attractive as capable of running native software, 86 software and unix stuff all in one machine...that's not so bad and worth something I would think, no? What other machine currently on the market can deliver all that functionality in one package?
jpistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:46 PM   #25

There is ONE real advantage that a Mac still has.

There are roughly 75,000 virus programs around, built just for the PC, while there are less then a 100 such virus programs for the Mac.

So this is one big lead that PC owners have, and where their position as number one, is not being threatend :G

Moreover, this is not just a reflection of market share. The PC, is wide open to these programs, while the Mac is notoriously difficult to infiltrate.

DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:55 PM   #26

It would be interesting if Mac OS could be run on a PC. The problem is, Mac OS simply isn't designed to handle a wide variety of different hardware configurations the way XP is. That's one of XP's greatest strengths, it's ability to make all sorts of different pieces of hardware play nice together.

A writer for PC Magazine, John C Dvorak, did predict that Apple would cease to create it's own operating system and would focus more on being a hardware company. This would mean that they'd continue to build their own machines as they do, but that they'd run Windows on them, perhaps with a Mac "shell" to give it the Mac feel, and also perhaps to streamline it. He made this prediction before Boot Camp was announced, and I think it'd be interesting to see if he's right.

I think it's interesting to note that the current version of Photoshop is not designed to run on the new Intel Macs except through emulation which is significantly slower. Perhaps Adobe thought that Macs would be running on Windows at this point, and therefore the Windows version of Photoshop would work fine.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 3:00 PM   #27

I resented Macs back in the bad old DOS days. Not because the OS wasn't almost infinitely better but because I couldn't justify paying twice as much for less performance when the computer would be obsolete in two years. Macs were also much more stable because they certified the software.

As late as 2000 dual processor Macs were still outperforming comparable PCs in Photoshop because Adobe was still optimizing some filters and processes for Mac better than for PCs. But by then the PCs were generally outperforming Macs in most programs. I tired of hearing about the great RISC processor when Intel and AMD chips were outperforming them at half the price with brute force.

Graphics pros have always used Macs because for years they were superior at graphics and much easier to use. If you want to be a graphics professional you probably buy a Mac because that is what everyone else is using. It is a hard enough profession to break into without everyone considering you a second class operator using a PC. It isn't justified anymore IMO, but it is what they have always used. That will likely change when they realize they are paying gold plated prices for an Intel computer.

I just checked Sales Circular and Circuit City has this Acer on sale for $280 after rebates:
AST135US3303 Desktop Computer, AC713 17-in. CRT Monitor, Canon Pixma MP150 all-in-one Printer. AMD Sempron 3300+ processor. 512MB DDR SDRAM, 160GB Hard Drive. DVD +-RW Dual Layer DVD Writer Drive. 9-in-1 Memory card reader

If I had no computer hardware or software I could get by with that computer without spending more money . With an inexpensive stick of RAM it will probably come close to my 2 year old state of the art homebuilt, but you can get by with 512Mb if you are frugal. It will certainly outperform a thousand dollar iMac. It probably comes with Works which now has Word. With the built-in XP utilities like fax and movie editing I could get along with freeware like Gimp etc. You can't do that with a Mac even after paying for the gold plated hardware because there isn't enough good freeware. And you are much more limited in the programs you buy.

You can't get into computing for $300 with a Mac. Especially not with all those accessories. And if you want state of the art you will pay nearly twice as much for a comparable Mac and have no advantages rather than maybe familiarity.

I don't find it is that much different dealing with software you install on a computer you build and a name brand. You still have to go to msconfig startup and services to get the computer operating efficiently. Inert programs don't normally do anything but take HD space. The Windows uninstaller seems more reliable at avoiding shared dll files with XP, but I still prefer to use an uninstaller that can be reversed if there is a problem.

Each version of Windows has been much better than the previous with the possible exception of ME, which I skipped. I haven't had a crash or lock-up since I installed XP several years ago. The doomsdayers are always predicting a disaster with the next version.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 4:15 PM   #28

I am surprised no Mac Devotee has chimed in yet. They must realize it would be a losing battle.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote