Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 25, 2006, 2:08 PM   #1

In about a month, I'll be headed to an airshow. Right now my equipment consists of the following:

Canon Rebel XT
Kit lense; 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Tiffen circular polarizer
UV filter

I'm planning on purchasing the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM before the airshow.

Any specific tips for photography at airshows? Should I use the circular polarizer? Is it best to use just one AF point and place that over the plane as it flies by?

I should be fairly close to the runway which is where they do most of their runs. Any other tips would be appreciated.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 1:54 PM   #2

I just used dumb luck and I only got a couple of decent shots. This looks like it has better instruction.

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 6:15 PM   #3

I've done some airshow photography.

my latest airshow photos

The article above covers all the basics pretty well. I use a Canon 30D With a sigma 50-500 lens, which is a fantastic piece of kit for this type of photography. Be prepared to take a lot of photos, i took about 2200 photos in one day.

I shoot camera handheld, planes are just too fast for any monopod/tripod action. Setup your rebel to display a review with histogram for a couple of seconds automatically, and check regulary for overexposure. While shooting the light sometime changes, and even the paint or coloursceme on the plane can have an effect. I usually underexpose mij photos 1/2 to 2/3 step, just to be on the save side.

For fast moving planes, i usually shoot at 1/1000st of a second, or faster. Helicopter's and prop planes, i try to photograph at /125 to 1/160 of a second, not faster. i know that i wont get many sharp photos, but with good panning, those that are sharp look much better. if you photograph a rotor with 1/1000, it will be frozen, and at 1/125-1/160 it will be blurred, showing movement.

Good luck! and have fun:-)
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote