Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 9, 2003, 7:52 AM   #1
Default Torn between two lovers: Coolpix 5000 or Dimage 7Hi

Getting down to the wire now with my decision to buy a new camera, but need some advice on which one is the winner.

Both cameras are in the 5 Megapixel class, however the Dimage is almost twice the price of the Nikon.

Pretty happy with the features on both, so I think my decision is coming down to reliability and repair history - I would like a camera that doesn't breakdown just when I need it. I had the Minolta XG1 years ago, and had a lot of problems with it, which kind of makes me shy away from Minolta.

Is there any distinct advantages that one has over the other?

Haven't seen them side by side, but I think the Nikon might be a little more compact-this might be a plus, unless the compact size comes at a great sacrifice.

So I guess I'm reaching out to current owners of either one of these cameras. Let me know of any problems you might be having. Give me any kind of feedback, good or bad.

pennstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2003, 8:38 AM   #2

Well have you look at the 7i? It's several hundred $ less than the 7hi and you're only sacrifying the high speed raw burst, and the AdobeRGB color space... (but in silver). Both the CP5000 and the D7's will do what you want and you can't go wrong with either. You just have to decide on the features set... and if you want to pay for them or not:

- real-time histogram plus grid and scale in EVF
- Direct Manual Focusing Override of the AF
- Filter thread as well as camera built-in electronic filters
- 28 to 200mm precise and quiet manual zoom
- True TTL flash with Advance Distance Integration
- Multi-Units wireless flash also TTL controlled
- WYSIWYG on manual (ie no meter needed at all!)
- Popular priced AA's as power source

- 3:2 mode
- Best Shot Selector
- Also wide 28-85mm, but push buttons electric zoom

Actually the D7's are more in line with the CP5700 which cost about the same. The CP5000 is really a P/S with the associated parallax correction or polarizer filter LCD/seeing difficulty which you wouldn't have with the semi EVF based SLRs.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote