Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 10, 2003, 4:20 AM   #1
Default Super Puzzled with Manual Controls in Sony F717

Thanks so much for any help.... I'm sure the solution is quite easy.

I am voraciously reading many photography books (such as Kodak's Joy of Photography) and am quite ready for some creative manually controlled shots, but........ here are enduring mysteries even after reading the manual and tinkering:

in ANY MODE (manual, P, AP, SP...): sometimes I can set the aperature to f2,0 and sometimes only to f2.4... what limits this capriciously?

second, the same goes for shutter speeds... Steve has indicated in his review that the shutter speed can reach 1/2000 and the f-stop to a wonderful f2.0... yet these both become limited at times no matter how much I fiddle... it's as though automatic settings/limits are somehow taking over.

third, the same holds true for Manual Mode: when I want to force extremes to darken shadows, overexpose light, play with depth of field... the settings become LIMITED as mentioned above AND seem to jump around after I set them... as though it's behaving in Aperature or Shutter Priority mode where one setting tries to balance out in relation with the other.

So, how can I take full control with MANUAL?

Sean Shimmel
Shimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2003, 5:09 AM   #2

Your first problem about the aperture limit (on most zooming cameras, don't know anything about that Sony) usually has to do with the position of the zoom lens...on some positions you can't open up the lens (probably because you'd be taking a picture of the lens housing itself, aka vignetting...so they prevented that by limiting the f-stop when the lens is in certain positions).

The rest I can't help you with because I never experienced it.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2003, 5:11 AM   #3
Default Sage Reply

Makes perfect sense... but would never have solved that on my own.

Thanks again
Shimm is offline   Reply With Quote