Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 11, 2003, 11:41 AM   #1
Default Canon Quality Control

Undecided between the Coolpix 4300 and the Canon S45, I finally decided the Canon A70 would be sufficient for my needs and allow me to buy the extra batteries and memory recommended by all.

That is until I read several people here writing about having to return Canon digital cameras to the shop due to poor quality control. This has got me worried and I'm now tempted to buy a Coolpix 3100 or 4300 because of this. (Especially if I decide to buy on the Internet.)

All comments very well and thanks for running such a helpful site.
HappyJack358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2003, 3:48 PM   #2

Yep I'm one of those that has taken a Canon A70 back (yesterday) as it died after 8 days of ownership - however I changed it for another A70 as for me it offers the best compromise for my desired specifications.

Yes there have been some posts about the quality control and it did make me hesitate for a while but I've gone for the A70 again. Sure if I end up with 3 bad ones I may then shift to another brand but for now I'll persist with the A70.

There are also people who are extremely happy with their A70's - just ask Gimli.

stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2003, 11:59 PM   #3

Even if you buy on the internet, a defective camera will be covered under the canon warranty as long as you don't buy grey market. Also, think of how many a70s are on the market, if 5 out of 1000 are defective, then that's only a .5% chance that you'd get a defective one. Any company can have problems with quality control, but if these companies (including canon) dealt with the disgruntled users unsatisfactorily, they'd go out of business. For those reasons I'd go with the a70
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote