Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:44 AM   #1

I had originally posted this question under "What camera to buy" and it was suggested that I post it in this forum.

Anyone own a Minolta 7D who can give me the pros and cons of this camera? I'm debating upgrading from my Minolta Maxxum film to this but not sure if it's wise, considering Sony took over Konica Minolta. I know there are some good deals out there on this camera but want to see if it's worth making the investment or if another DSLR would be better. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.-Thanks!
luv2stamp65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:15 AM   #2

It is a very wise decision especially as you already have Minolta lenses. The fact that K-M was taken over by Sony doesn't mean a thing as Sony has engineered its dSLR around the K-M dSLRs and it said in a press statement that it took over all service and guarantee for K-M digital cameras.
The 7D is a very good machine and it just would not pay for you to jump into a whole new other system. With the 7D you also have all your lenses stabilized, a commodity for which you would pay a whole lot if you considered Canon/Nikon (I can tell you this as I play around with a Nikon D50 and, allthough it is a great machine for the price, it is absolutely beyond my reach to come up with the money for a stabilized lens). Another great thing is that you can find K-M mount lenses for bargain prices on the net. So, go on ahead and get your 7D while you still can find a great deal on it!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:14 AM   #3

I'm a 7D owner and really like this camera. Like you, I had a number of Maxxum lenses for my film cameras, so this was a natural move to digital for me. I really like having most of the controls replicate what is on my 7 film camera. I much prefer using the knobs/dials rather than accessing menus.

FWIW, I noticed someone on anotehr forum mentioned that Walmart.com supposedly is selling the 7D with kit lens for about $700. If you can find a deal like that, it certainly seems like a very reasonable price.
yendikeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:56 AM   #4

See my first post in this thread:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote