Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which one would you prefer on your dSLR?
CMOS 2 66.67%
CCD 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 14, 2006, 2:25 AM   #11

amazingthailand wrote:
Yet the Fuji SuperCCD's are thought by many to be the best high ISO chips around.
There's nothing special in that sensor, it's all about very effective noise removing in Fuji's non-SLRs: (BS departments can't negate laws of physics)

Now of course bigger sensor of dSLR gives better results but neither that looks so superior:

JimC wrote:
But, that's only because some people associate Canon's image quality with their use of CMOS Sensors.** They more likely went that route because they figured out it would be cheaper to manufacturer the cameras using CMOS sensors, and they'd have lower power requirements, too.
Manufacturing CMOS sensors is way more cheaper, big pile of general logic chips and ICs used today are made with CMOS technology so there's plentily of manufacturing capacity for that and it doesn't require own manufacturing equipment.

zygh wrote:
JimC, I very well understand that. BUT, the thing is I was adressing ONLY the sensors made for the latest selling APS-C dSLRs from Canon CMOS (350D,20D/30D) and Sony CCD (Nikon D50/D70/D200, Pentax etc.). I hope it is clearer now what I was talking about.
Here again we have one extra variable, amount of megapixels which changes surface area of every pixel.
In the end only sure way for really knowing which performs best is comparing results.

Also Canon 30D is 1/3rd more sensitive than ISO value shows:

(this has been mentioned also in reviews of some other Canons)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote