Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 14, 2003, 1:00 AM   #1
Default Lumix FZ1 vs Olympus C740

I am about to purchase a digital camera and cannot decide whether to get the Panasonic Lumix FZ1 (12x optical zoom, 2 mPix) versus Olympus C740 (10x zoom, 3mPix). My main objective is to get good wildelife shots - hence I favour the greater zoom on the Lumix FZ1 (12 x zoom, plus a stabilisation factor to stop camera shake - unlike the Olympus). I've heard that the Lumix FZ1 internal Flash is not very good, however, and it does not have facility for an external flash. Has anyone any experience here? These two cameras are the same price here in Melbourne ($999)
craigmsith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2003, 8:29 AM   #2

I have the FZ1 and love it! I have only had it a few weeks now and a majority of my shots are outside, so I haven't had a chance to test the flash, but I have heard the same thing. I do have some indoor shots, but I haven't had a chance to post them yet.

We are expecting child #2 next week (scheduled c-section), so I'll have plenty of indoor pictures. Keep a look out for a post titled "Indoor FZ1 shots" in the Panasonic forum (on this discussion board) or visit http://photos.jacobfam.net at the end of next week and I'll have some up.

You can see some shots I took this past weekend. Go to http://photos.jacobfam.net and go to the "Shenandoah National Park - Skyline Drive" section.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2003, 10:12 AM   #3

I have always been an olympus fan and love my olympus cameras, but I was very disappointed that Olympus did not offer IS with it's new ultra zooms. Before I buy an ultra zoom camera it will have IS as part of the package. If I needed to buy now I would lean more to the Panasonic camera.

gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote