Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:36 PM   #1

I have someone who wants to use my photos for commercial purposesand I want to charge them. What is the proper way to sell them? More specifically what is the proper way to license the photos and do "shared" licensing rights?

I want to use paypal to receive the payments, is that all I should do or is there some written legal documentation that is needed?

P.S. I would just like to send them in digital format through e-mail to the buyer.

Eegakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:24 PM   #2

First off, I am not a lawer. Therefor what I say is *NOT* legal advice... and what you want is legal advice. After all, a contract is a legal document.

Sending then something via email is absolutely not enough. You need something with real signatures on it, which email does not have. You can send them a copy via email so they can review it but you must send them a paper copy for them to sign and send back to you.

You need to cover things like:
1) How long they have the rights to the image.
2) How many times (different commercial uses) are they allowed to use it for.
3) Do they have exclusive rights to it? If so, for how long? It is exclusive for advertising only? Or for all use?
4) How long to they have the right to it general?

You really need to find somesomething like this book:
John Shaw's Business of Nature Photography: A Professional's Guide to Marketing and Managing a Successful Nature Photography Business (Hardcover) [/b]
by John Shaw

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote