Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 15, 2003, 3:22 AM   #1
Default Buying a camera in Chinatown in San Francisco

The stores in Chinatown in San Francisco are offering Canon S50 for $450 which is an unbelievably low price. I looked at it and the camera was black (i.e. the model for US market), contained a US warranty, US-type battery charger and a manual in several languages, including English.

The price seems to be too good to be true. Is there any catch or is it the same product I could buy from renowned stores for more money?

Could it be a product made not in Japan but somewhere else, 2nd quality product, or something like that? Does anybody have any experience with this.
jirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2003, 4:36 AM   #2

Some stores may *import* the camera from another country meant for that particular market and not the US market. The models they have on display may be the US model with the US warranty they can show you, but the model they sell you may be the import WITHOUT a US warranty...wouldn't surprise me if they do this; it wouldn't be the sleeziest thing I've seen here.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 6:18 PM   #3

I agree with Mike- when I was on the lookout for my camera, I found a few retailers like that- they made no mention that a specific product had a US/Int'l warranty, and only when asked did they tell me the US product was $70+ more expensive... they were rude, I didn't buy from them.

You may do much better finding a reputable place and paying a little more- it may save you dearly in the long run.

airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote