Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:22 AM   #1

I just posted a similar message in the Camera buying forum, without realizing that this was probably the better forum for it, so here goes:

I will be going to Japan for a year at the end of this week, and I figured that I needed an upgrade to my 2 megapixel 5 second delay HP... however, some have suggested that the technology is better in Japan and I would be a fool not to get the new camera there. Are these people right? The reason why I ask is that there is the very significant problem of the language barrier for buying in Japan, so I don't want to do it without substatial reason. What do y'all think?

Thanks for your time.

- Ballpointpenner
Ballpointpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 4:43 AM   #2

Language is not a problem, Just go to Akihabara district in Tokyo. I'm assuming you're arriving at the Narita airport? Tokyo's about 1 hour away by train. Anyway, Akihabara is the place for electronics, and sometimes you can even bargain (Not with the big camera stores like Bics and Yodobashi). A lot of foreigners go there so most of them will speak english.

It's also (generally) cheaper than Canada, especially if you're in Ontario with the insane 15% taxes (5% in Japan). When I was there, I was mostly focused on the SLR equipment, so I'm not too sure about regular point and shoot cameras. But they do sell international versions of products so you don't have to worry about language issues.

I wouldn't say they release products in Japan faster than Canada (The Canon EF 17-55 f/2.8 came out in Canada before Japan), but I think they have more variety. I do not recall seeing the Sanyo hybrid camera around here.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote