Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 17, 2003, 12:22 PM   #1
Default Need a true plug-n-play capable camera for win2k

Hey guys,

First post......

I work for a company that has a need for a digital camera. We recently purchased a 2 MP Sony that has the floppy disk and memory stick. We use it alot, but would like to buy another one.... possibly higher resolution and more zoom. The company doesn't want to have to load ANY software onto any of their PC's...... hence the reason we got the one that takes the floppy disk. I was thinking that there might be some of the Sony camera's that would be truly plug-n-play for Win2k using the USB port. I have (at home) 2 different kinds of readers.... one you must load software before you can access the compact flash card..... and a Dazzle SD card reader.... that is plug-n-play....... no software needed. This is what got me to thinking that there might be some of the cameras out there that are true plug-n-play (at least with Win2k). The camera would be used by almost a dozen different people.... so a dozen mem stick readers doesn't seem logical........

Thanks for any help you can give.....
BrianD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2003, 2:26 PM   #2

The Olympus C-3020 USB I/F is plug-n-play on Win 2k and XP platforms as are (I believe) all of the Oly C-series that have been produced since the C-3020. The Sony DSC-U20 which is a fairly new Sony product requires driver s/w to be loaded to download via the USB port.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2003, 4:33 PM   #3

I have a Kodak DX4300 that works nicely without any special software, well at least under Windows XP. If I load the software the camera appears as removable media when plugged to the USB port. I later removed the driver and when I connected the camera again it was still recognized but as it is, a digital camera, not as removable media with its own drive letter. I could transfer images normally but I didn't like much the interface when used that way.

At about the same time I bought a Dazzle SD card reader which was as simple to use. Just plug it in and it appeared as removable media with its own drive letter. Works much faster than the camera's own USB interface.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote