Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:01 AM   #1

Hi All,

Im from the Philippines and im planning to get a Canon A620.
Most if not all shops/sellers here price it at P25,000 (around $500) even from Canon Philippines. Which i find ridiculously high considering in the states it can be bought for around $200 only.

Anyway, there's this individual i found at a local forum selling Canon cameras for hard to refuse prices. He selling the A620 for P14,000, right around $240. Which for me sounds fair enough.

I really want to order one but im a bit sceptical.

My question is, how do i identify if the cameras hes selling are original and not counterfeit or imitations?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out.
jmreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:01 AM   #2

Unfortunately, now adays it is almost impossible to tell a fake from an original. They are getting that good at making it.

But unlike a lap, or some clothing, it is kinda hard to make a fake camera. It might be broken or used and be being sold as new. That is an age old trick. Or they might not have it and are just trying to rip you off.

But you don't see many that are truly counterfits.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:43 PM   #3

I have not heard of anyone selling fake name brand digital cameras, Canon would squash them like a bug in short order. Usually what we see are the legal import models and the "grey market" models brought in from other sales regions. What youtrade is the local warranty coverage for thelower price.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice guys.
I guess I was looking at the wrong places. Computer stores and forum individuals! Hehehe.

I actually got some advice on where to get cameras. Camera stores! The ones where photography savy people go.

I e-mailed a couple of stores who they said were reputable and asked for the price for the A620. They actually have it for P13,500 ($230), right on with the prices from the states.

Now, im choosing between the A620 and the S2.

Again. thanks.

jmreyes is offline   Reply With Quote