Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:12 PM   #1

A question for those of you that have used both or are still using both. What I'm wondering is with a SLR camera like the Nikon F6 is noise totally absent? Would it take a totally non-digital camera to output a picture with absolutely no noise at which ever ISO speed?

I know film purists will always prefer film cameras (SLR, medium format...etc.) over a good DSLR. Can you briefly explain why if you fall into this group?

Thanks people.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:19 PM   #2

Film SLR's have a form of noise called grain, caused by the particles of silver halide or color dye clouds that forms the images. The higher the ISO, the bigger the grains become,just like in digital noise.And it has nothing to do with SLR's or DSLR's. This applies to all small (non-large format) cameras. Large format cameras have such small grain in comparison to the image, that it could be considered grainless.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 9:35 PM   #3

Excellent explanation rodmeister. One of the advantages of digital is the ability to switch ISO value from shot to shot. With 35mm you have to change film.

I still use film on occasion (have my favorites for colors in certain situations) but since I packed up the darkroom long ago I find digital to be more convenient. Like all things electronic it will only improve.

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:35 PM   #4

No More Film!!!!:blah:

I sold every Film camera I had. Hasselblads, Nikon F4's, Nikon Ti. All gone and good ridence.:-)

My D200 and 18/200 VR lens is the best thing that happened to my photography ever. Was using a D100 and 24/120 VR lens the past few years.

I was lucky and got rid of my film cameras while they were still worth something. I will never ever go back to film again.NEVER!!!!!!:-)

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:16 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys!!

So at least in regards to "noise" it's a fact of life in photography. Pretty much unavoidable and comes down to the degree of noise you get as the ISO speeds increase.

Was just wondering. Cya guys.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:52 PM   #6

Another thing to point out is that only the absolute best films compare to digital.
I'm talking things like Provia 100F or Velvia 100F... expensive film.

A really good digital camera will beat the average film all the way to bank.

I have two friends who are both stunning wildlife photographers.
One says he will only switch to digital when they no longer make film. He produces amazing images with film, so he really has no need to switch. He doesn't own a computer and is not tech savy. But the reality is that he really understands how his film behaves and squeeses the most out of it.

My other friend is also very, very good. He sells images to magazines and nature organizations (National Audubon and others.) He just switched to digital this past Feb. In a few months he said he will never go back. He loves it. the results are as good as he got with film, he loves not switching film when burst shooting, he doesn't have to scan the results, .... absolutely loves it.

If you are willing to spend on a good camera and good lenses, you won't have any worries. Digital can, if you get the right body, be just as good as film... even for the most demanding people.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:09 AM   #7

It seems you have the noise/grain thing covered already, but here's an interesting thought:

As the light levels drop, there will always be more "noise/grain" whether it's digital or film. BUT - it also happens to your eyes!

In the dark, once your pupils have opened up and you can start to make things out, notice the "grain" in your own vision.

This is because our eyes have two types of light receptive cells - rods and cones. The cones are used in daylight, but are useless when the light goes. That's when the cones take over. They are more sensitive to light and let us see in the dark, but the quality suffers.

Won't help you much with regard to film v digital, but thought it was interesting anyway!

dazp1970 is offline   Reply With Quote