Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 21, 2003, 11:00 AM   #1
Default Canon Powershot S400 versus Olympus Stylus Digital 400

As an alternative to my Oly C4040, I am considering a smaller digital for the times when I just want one to stick in my pocket or purse. I am considering either the Canon Powershot S400 or the Olympus Stylus Digital 400. I have read the reviews on both, and either seems like a good choice, but I would like some opinions from the group. Pros and cons of each?

Thanks in advance
Digital Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2003, 1:02 PM   #2

Think of it this way...if you need/want a weather resistant camera, get the Olympus Stylus.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 5:34 PM   #3

both cameras are reviewed on this site.
Juding by the sample pics pages at the end of the reviews, the s400 pics looked sharper and had much less noise than the olympus one.

I played with both cameras at the store, the olympus was realy nice but the s400 is IMO nicer.

One thing I did like about the Olympus is the sliding lens cover door, but that is a personal peeve.

I'd go for the canon.
ErezKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 5:58 PM   #4

I have the S400 Canon. It is a nice metal cased well made beauty. It takes good photos and has lots of options and settings although it lacks some manual controls found in larger cameras. It's size is perfect for my front pants pocket, it would fit in a shirt pocket easily too. It has a long batter life and a nice separate wall charger.

Check out my Photo Sharing site below, all photos are taken with this camera.. try selecting the original image on some to see detail. The site takes my original photo and resizes it for medium and large, etc, it loses detail there.

Good luck,
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote