Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:52 PM   #1

Are they a reliable company?
do they ship fast?
I'd never heard of them till this forum.
Also what about Adorama.com??
Sky042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:55 AM   #2

Adorama is as good as they come. Them, and B&H are where the pros go.
As for shipping, I guess it depends on availability and your shipping choice. I've used them a couple of times and I'm very happy with them.
They also have an Amazon.com store , that sometimes offer stuff for less than their regular website.

Sigma4Less from what I understand is NOT an authorized Sigma dealer, but they seem to be a favorite here also. Watchout for rebates, as manufacturers may not honor rebates unless the product is bought from an authorized dealer.

In general, be sure to checkout reselleratings.com as there are a lot of scams out there.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:09 AM   #3

Ditto on comments by rey. Adorama and B&H have both caused me to part with significant money over the years and I have not regretted any of it. I don't know where you're located but in the States they usually ship UPS or FedEx ground, supply tracking #'s, etc. Their shipping costs are clearly stated. You can option for second day or overnight service (at a much higher cost, of course). All my purchases have been via the Internet and I have not had any issues. Adorama does have an auction site on ebay as well, and the item I ordered there took 5 days to ship rather than the store site's normal 24 to 48 hours. No big deal (it's ebay, after all!).

Haven't used the Sigma site so I can't comment on that.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:22 AM   #4

I've heard a few people complain about post-sales support from adorama. That they didn't take something back that they should have.

I've never done business with them, so I have had no problems with them.
I can say that their web page is top-notch. Their search engine is a thing of beauty that should be copied by other companies. (The only better one is the power search that newegg.com has.)

I've spend some money with B&H and they have always treated me very well. I've never heard a bad thing about them.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:19 AM   #5

B&H very good, I've even returned an item. It worked, I just wasn't happy with it. Had to expalin why to them, but they credited me the full amount quickly. Some folks complain a bit about their service from time to time but no complaints here. I also dealt with B&H to get a bit of a discount as I work at a College. Discount was very, VERY small to the point of almost not worth the legg work to get it. But, again, very professional company.

Sigma4Less. I've purchased from them, but wasn't happy with the lens. 12-24 mm (bit soft). Sent it back and they sent me a new one. Second one was worse than the first. Sent this back also. Good company, some of the best prices for Sigma, but I found it tough to get in touch with them. It was due to holidays (Jewish I beleive at the timethese transactions were going on). From purchase of orignal lens through both returns and credit took better than 2 months. But, all money was refunded, no questions asked. Time delay I have to beleive was due to their holiday schedule (week or two at a time of not being open). If I was going to try Sigma again (which I probably won't) I would go to Sigma4Less first.

Hope this helps,
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:05 AM   #6

I wound up buying from both.
I bought from B&H and Sigma for less. I live outside philly I ordered monday and the stuff was here tuesday from both places.

Only problem from Sigma4less was that I ordered the 70-200 2.8 DG APO EX lense and they were out of stock they called me about an hour after I placed the order and they said they had the macro version which is usually 90 bux more but they'd give it to me for only an additional 50 bux so I took it. I wasn't too surprised since I know sigma is phasing out the non-macro version

They also didn't have in stock another lens but that was expected since their site did say "Call for availability"
Sky042 is offline   Reply With Quote