Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 26, 2003, 5:27 AM   #1
Default I am new and I wanna buy a 3M - 4M camera, any suggestion?

I am new here. I would like to buy a digital camera that is easy to use and also has quite nice picture quality. I will use it for my tranvelling and take snap shots for the island, sea, beach, buildings and so on. I don't have good skill and I don't require good looks or fashion style. What I want is easy to use, and good quality. Any suggestion is welcome.

Cai Yuan
booktoread is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2003, 11:51 AM   #2

Hmm...it's very difficult to advice you because there's more to it than the parameters you've describe here. Quality is subjective and you should try and read some of Steves reviews. But before you should consider, what you actually want - which card, which batteries. Not with the intension to link to my own page...but you should consider something like this:

there's also many other links on that issue on the net.

You must make up your own mind and then return to forum and hear what people have to say about your choices.

Just a friendly advice.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 7:08 PM   #3

Check out the Nikon 3100. It takes great pics and is as simple as it gets. it has a lot of Scene assist modes for varying scenes. Check out the review at steves-digicams or www.dcresource.com.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 11:38 PM   #4

I personally like the a70 since it is a good all around camera. It of course can be used for standard point and shoot, but it also has the option of manual, should you ever desire more creativity. It has an af-assist lamp which is almost a must for low-light conditions, uses aa batteries and cf type 1 cards. Plus, it can take add-on lenses. Finally, since you intend to take beach shots, canon makes an uderwater casing for this camera, so you can take it snorkling and don't have to worry about getting it wet, or getting sand in it and wrecking the camera.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 10:09 AM   #5

I would say get a Canon S45 or S50. S45 is 4megapixels and S50 is 5 megapixels. Apart from that they're virtually identical (apart from the cameras are different colours). It's an excellent camera. I don't think Canon's picture quality can be beaten, and as far as I know the S50 is Canon's best compact camera. At least consider it along with other cameras you're looking at.

It costs a lot, but I got mine brand new off ebay for a much cheaper price.
Grand Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote