Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:57 AM   #1

First of all, I'm very impressed with the close-ups of all the pictures I've seen. I'm a casual camera user and this is my first digital camera (Kodak P850). I have shot hundreds of photos with my old Canon AE-1 camera over the years and had my share of duds but the majority of all were very good. I ran the gamut from scenery, portraits, 400X telephoto, macro, etc. Time for a jump into digital photography for this old timer. The camera does a great job overall and I am pleased with the outcome of the pictures. I've tried some close-up shots of flowers, birds, bees and just recently a Praying Mantis. Most, if not all, of the shots are bad with the focus not on the intended object. I've tried many variables afforded by the camera and I still cannot get the focus on the intended target. The Pray Mantis for example; the wing in focus, the head out; a leaf near it's head in focus, the Mantis out. Is it me or is the focus point so critical that one inch means out of focus?

I've been here a while and lurking in the background reading and learning from all the contributors.
Raised Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:55 PM   #2

Seems like a depth of field issue to me,asuming you shot the mantis in the macro mode. You may recall from your AE 1 days(I too possess one-grest camera),DOF is dependent on distance of the object from the camera, and aperture;>the distance, >the DOF.<the aperture > theDOF.So, in the macro mode since the object is very close to the camera, the other thing you could try to get a >DOF would be to reduce the aperture,if your camera so permits.

Would like to have your feedback on the results.
Kamal Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:01 PM   #3

Do you try setting the focus to Macro? I take many close ups with my P850 and have been very pleased with the results. But it will absolutely refuse to shoot good close ups on normal focus!!! I also find stepping back and going to full telephoto makes the shots nicer, rather than using no zoom and just getting up close.

Those are some example I have taken. If you try to get closer than that however, you'll have some trouble. I am getting some Macro filters later this week though, so maybe that will let me get closer.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:47 AM   #4

P850 is great cam and work fine for macro mode. I m also using 6490.

First check how much distance from subject to your camera allowed in macro mode. and after turn on macro mode, close to subject as u can, half-way down and i think u'll see the preview of that shot. and for DOF concern choose less aperture value to give Great DOF or every part in focus.

indianguy077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:42 AM   #5

hi in scene mode there is a option for flower shots. this is basically a macro setting try this or as stated before just set the focus to macro and you shoud be laughing
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote