Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:37 AM   #1
Default Ice moving ashore

Ice moving ashore on a dutch lake (formerly an inland sea). I did some in color and some in B&W. Will post more shortly. Sadly it was rather overcast on the day I had a chance to go out there...
Feedback is highly appreciated ! (I'm not too sure about these shots)
Attached Images
tsjiaotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:13 AM   #2

The shots with the people are good for perspective. My fav is #1.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:16 AM   #3

I like # 1 very much!

It's got everything right. Composition, perspective (holy cow!), colors and that lonly person by the rail giving us a feeling of depth.

# 2 is a nice try. IMO the texture of the ice doesn't come out as it should. Difficult with such a wide span of contrast.

# 3 is an aweinspiring picture of perspective and dramatic composition. Diagonals are always good! That hole in the clouds is god-send and gives a feeling of dramatic weather to come. If only that ice would be more white than grey...
And the horizon is a bit off - i think.

Nice to have you back, tsjiaotai!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:31 PM   #4

I really like number 1, very nice series.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:13 PM   #5

#3 could be brilliant imo. The people among the ice give the picture life. The light breaking through the clouds the way it does give a wonderfull mood. Only problem I have with the picture is the the light doesn't gradually fade from the source.

#2 is a little to overdone for me. A little to hard constrast, if you soften it a little it might help. Also there is nothing to give a perspective on the magnitude of the ice.

#1 is a nice picture, nearly philosophical (can a picture be philosophical?).
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:45 AM   #6

thanks everyone for your feedback ; I like no.1 the best, I'll give the other shots a new try ( and have loads more RAW material from the same series). Somehowe all the white ice and very overcast wheater make managing contrast really difficult here. Thanks for the advice I'll check back with some more snow/ice !
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:53 PM   #7
Default more ice

Did another one ; different day, same location ( yeah I drove about 100 km to get there...but it WAS a dramatic sight! - here in the Netherlands we're having a long-lasting winter and I've never in 30 years seen so much ice piling on the shores of our large inland lake - feels like I'm in Norway somedays!)
How do you feel about this one ? I've cropped it in two different ways ( the second one giving a better diagonal to the corner of the picture), would you please let me know which is the best in your opinion ? I like the first crop best. It's a one-raw-HDR btw.
Thanks !

PS : also added the middle exposure. I realise it's not a spectacular shot, however I like the scenery and struggling/learning to get my exposure right under such 'white' conditions and overcast sky. Feedback appreciated !
Attached Images

Last edited by tsjiaotai; Feb 22, 2010 at 12:57 PM.