Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:30 AM   #1
Default Ice-floes down the river - Nothing witheld in HDR...

I have called it "Ice-floes down the river - Nothing witheld in HDR..." because I usually restrain myself rather well and try to make my HDR's as 'natural'-looking as possible. But this motive made me go overboard and cross a line - and it felt good! I think the mood in this picture can take the 'over-the-top'-HDR renderings.

I will take whatever comes ( and I know it will....!) and just smile, because I wanted that scene to look like it does.

When I found this strech of the river, there was this rather strange light coming off the morning-sun, because a weather-front was just about passing us. Behind the front there was blue sky and white clouds, but so far there was only a darkish sky with rather sinister-looking clouds, filtering the sun rather efficient. It is a sinister-looking place too, with that strech of heavy industry on the other side. This is what I am trying to convey here. First the dark and then the bright....(wish me luck)!

BTW - this is an exciting, annual event, when the snow and ice on the coast is long gone but the river is still carrying down rather thick and heavy ice-floes from the inland where it is colder still. This here place has a back-eddie (?), where the river-current is going against the flow along the shore, thus landing some ice-floes on the rocks and pebbles when the tide goes out.

# 1 - a panorama-shot with sinister-looking clouds, consisting of 2 panels. I love those reflections of the clouds in the water.

# 2 A single shot of sun-rays bursting through the clouds....

# 3 - Another panorama, now showing the patches of blue sky coming in from the south-west....

CC welcome, as always!

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Apr 8, 2010 at 9:26 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:24 AM   #2

Walter, while you may say these are "over the top" HDRs, they are quite pleasing and natural looking to me. Somehow, you can make an industrial site look like a place I'd want to visit on a weekend outing.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:33 AM   #3

Nice work, I like #2 best.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 1:06 PM   #4

Love #1 and #3 also. Nothing over the top for certain. Looking beautifully natural.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 1:10 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i am with Walter C here. They are really not over the top at all. They retain a natural color balance and devoid of any halos. I think they are excellent, crisp images with very pleasing compositions.

i really like these, if this is going over the top, keep doing it

if i had to choose favorites, i slightly prefer #1 and #2.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:05 PM   #6

Graet job again! The light interplay in the foreground and the reflections in the water makes me rank #1 as #1 out of the three I should also say it looks so real to me...
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:05 PM   #7

All very impressive! Time is flying by - it wasn't so long ago that you were posting pictures with no water in sight. These are wonderful, the first signs of spring.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 6:32 AM   #8
Default Walter C, billy, Ordo, Dustin, bahadir and mtngal !

I want to thank you all for your reassuring comments about my "over-the-top" HDR's.

Come to think of it and looking at them a second time after reading all of your comments, it's not the HDR-renderings themself I thought were overcooked, but the effect of the darkened clouds and the dim, gloomy and somewhat somber mood of the scene.

This just goes to show that one seldom has sufficiant professional 'distance' to judge ones own photos. Once you have made up your own mind about a picture, you actually stop seeing it with sober eyes and the analizing is colored by your own feelings from the time of shooting the scene!

Thank god we have Steve's to rectify that!

Last edited by Walter_S; Apr 9, 2010 at 9:07 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:47 AM   #9

All your shots here look like time has been suspended. Everything is frozen in that moment. Not even a ripple in the water. Great shots Walter.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:21 AM   #10

Walter, everything has been said (or written) before, so I can just second these comments - simply amazing shots!!
Markus Rimml Photography | Facebook | Twitter

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote