Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:28 PM   #11

Hi, Musket. Thank you.

I haven't used my fisheye of late. I've been focusing more on straight architectural shots as I think it's the most challenging. I try to compose the shot with horizontals being horizontal and verticals vertical and all lines parallel as much as possible. Still, I often need to correct perspective in Photoshop but at least the work is minimal.

For this reason I obtained a licenst for PTLens, an excellent tool for correcting lens distortions like barrel pin-cushioning and chromatic aberration based on various camera bodies and lenses.

I thought I'd try PTLens on one of my images here. PTLens doesn't list my Sony A550 and Vivitar 7mm fisheye which I used to shot this image, so I selected the next best combination -- Sony A77 and Samyang 10mm.

http://i63.tinypic.com/xpxwzb.jpg

As you can see, the fisheye effect is nearly gone and what's left is probably something Photoshop can handle in its lens correction tool.

The nice thing with PTLens is you can send the author 12 sample images in varying focal lengths from your camera body/zoom lens combination and he will reply promptly with a new profile for your use.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:08 PM   #12

Yes I think you would need specific software for the lens+camera combo to complement fisheye shots the most in correction, but they can look quite nice with the fisheye look as well.

I tried to correct that one more in corel paintshop, but there is still some curvature at the bottom.
Attached Images

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:54 AM   #13

Very nice edit, musket. Thanks. I didn't think it was possible. Makes me wonder if my fisheye lens with its 180-degree angle of view can now become my everyday walkabout lens.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:37 PM   #14

Nice story and good use of the fisheye.

Mike
blkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:38 PM   #15

Do you previsualize what the light will be like in the final image, or do you just get lucky a lot? I'm always impressed by the dramatic lighting in your indoor work.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:51 PM   #16

Thank you, blkms, The Barbarian.

Hi, The Barbarian. I wish I could say I visualize but I really don't. However, and I don't think it's the same as what you said, "what the light will be like in the final image", but I think I have sort of developed some sense that a scene will render well in HDR so I go ahead and shoot.

Below are probably two easy examples. I felt excited the moment I walked into the rooms and saw the afternoon light seeping in.