Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:45 AM   #1

Default Fisheye HDR in NYC

Where the woman is standing at center and the two columns to her left and right actually form a square with the spot from where I'm standing. The fisheye lens I used to take this photo distorted the square’s right angles heavily. This place is called the "whispering gallery". It is located in a passage on a lower level of the Grand Central Terminal in New York City.

It is called the whispering gallery because if one person faced one column and spoke, another person diagonally across supposedly would hear at the far column.

I didn't really believe in it what with all the noise at Grand Central. But while I was setting up my tripod with my back against one column I heard a man’s voice very distinctively speak to me from behind. Being that there’s nothing behind me but the column, I looked up and saw two men at the far column grinning at me. I grinned back and gave them the thumbs up.

Then a man came out of the Oyster Bar and Restaurant to my left followed by his teenage daughter and youngster son I presume and said, "You got a fisheye there?"

I said, "Yeah. I want to capture both corners."

I then added, "It actually works. A man said something at the other end and I heard him."

When I started shooting, I then heard a woman in a somewhat uncertain voice say, “Hello?” from behind me. You have to realize it’s dark down there and there’s plenty of noontime crowd milling about (this is an HDR shot composed of several slow exposures so the moving crowd is hardly visible) so I didn’t see the man’s daughter (shown in the photo) dash off to the far column to say “hello”.

I said “hello” back. Her younger brother was inching closer to me to try and hear her sister’s voice so I gave him some room and said, “You have to move your ear closer to the wall,” which he did. Soon they were trying out the other columns, too.

Later, a third person said “hello” to me. I said “hello” back and the man said, “It’s amazing.”

I’ve been through there many times but never actually saw anyone try it out. I suppose people felt silly falling for a New York City prank if that’s all it turned out to be.

But a photographer standing still in one corner for quite some time working the controls of a camera mounted on a tripod would be invitation to passersby. Finally they have someone to talk to and not fear about looking ridiculous. They just have to utter a quick “hello” and if my head popped up then that would be their vindication.

Hey, anytime I can play host in this wonderful city I call home even at the expense of my being used like a convenient appliance I’d be delighted. There are many hypes surrounding New York City and some might need watering down but the whispering gallery at Grand Central Terminal isn’t one of them.

You can actually make out the "ghosted" image of her dad on the left -- or his legs and feet, anyway.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Feb 18, 2012 at 6:56 AM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:55 PM   #2

Very cool! The picture is interesting in its own right, but adding the explanation and it becomes fascinating! From one of your "ghosts", it looks like you weren't the only one photographing. And by the way, I like your bits of ghosts, I think it adds to the "story" your picture tells (though others might disagree).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:55 AM   #3

Thanks a lot, mtngal. Yes, I vaguely remember now a flash being fired. That happens sometimes while I'm taking long exposures but so far hasn't seemed to affect my HDRs.

Hmm, it looks like the dad was maybe taking a picture of me. But that could just be me with my Ptolemaic center-of-the-universe thinking .

#2) I found that with a fisheye, I didn't have to cross Fifth Avenue to fit the GE Rockefeller building in a landscape frame...

#3) ...and fit the Atlas statue and Saint Patrick's Cathedral in one shot.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4

wow especially with the last two .... i really like
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:23 PM   #5

Another love-it-or-hate-it thing - fisheye lenses. They can be great fun, I like what you've done here with yours, using it to create a specific effect rather than shooting it haphazardly. I prefer the second one, but don't ask me why, just an emotional response rather than something logical.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 3:17 PM   #6

i like fisheyes only if they are used well, which is the case here, great pictures mate
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 7:30 PM   #7

Thank you, simple, mtngal, kazuya.

Yes, I try to be picky with the scenes I shoot with the fisheye, because I think it might not work well with every shot. So I'm glad to know my efforts are going well.

#4) Park Avenue north.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:59 AM   #8

Awesome shots, I have long admired your photography and feel like I have visited NY. Must see it someday.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:39 AM   #9

Thank you, lorenww.

#4) Times Square looking south.

#5) Grand Central is laid out like a maze. This is one of several passages.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:52 AM   #10

Terrific shots and narrative , I can't remember seeing them before. Certainly worth another visit to Grand central station well done
musket is offline   Reply With Quote