Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:17 AM   #1

The Aiptek PDV8800 (PVR) comes with software to convert its ASF files to other formats, but I found it totally useless. It takes forever and produces unplayable results on my system, which has every imaginable codec installed. So I downloaded this:

and found it much, much better. It lets you convert
to WMV, AVI (using any codec you want), MPEG, and even DVD. It's also much faster and has many more options.

Diyabolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:57 PM   #2

If you want some great freeware instead to do conversions then I highly recommend the following:

TMPGenc is an MPEG1 convertor that creates great Video CD compliant files and can be downloaded from here:

I have used this for a long time to create Video CD's. Be aware though, that you need an appropriate CD burning software to create Video CD's as the basic versions that come free with PC's and/or CD burners don't have this ability.

Their commercial product is quite expensive but can do MPEG-2 conversions for DVD's as well.

For a general purpose multiconvertor there is SUPER:

I have used this to convert files to play on my mobile phone and it works quite well!

Be sure to change the default output directory though, as I found at first that the file conversion kept failing! The error message gave no real clue as to what was really wrong ie the output directory didn't exist!

And of course you can use Microsofts own Media Convertor which is also free to create wmv files for your PDA or email etc.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote