Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 19, 2007, 5:37 PM   #1

Anyone know of a place to by a hybrid digicam in Canada?
kmadill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:15 PM   #2

The Source CC (ex Radio Shack), Future Shop, Sears, Best Buy, the Brick, among other large retailers have carried hybrids in the last couple of years. Indeed, Canadian Tire was selling a Digilife DDV-720 under another name, for months before Christmas this year. The 720 was a pretty decent camera, although suffering from a weak microphone.

By checking the seller location in eBay, you can eventually find Canadian sellers. I got a very slightly used hybrid for my daughter for Christmas, from a Canadian source.

The issue with the border is not that there's duty to pay, because there is no duty on importing electronic cameras from the US into Canada. The problem is that there is tax to be paid, and the shipping company such as UPS, charges usurious rates of up to $40.00 to do the paperwork. Often if you can get the camera sent by the US Postal Service, it will come through without this complication.

I have had about 8 hybrids, and have never had to return any, so warranty support hasn't been an issue yet for me.

But basically, if you're limited to Canadian sellers, it cuts the selection by at least 90%.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote