Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:30 PM   #1

Hey Guys,

I have read threw the forums and reviews and I'm very facinated by this whole hybrid camera stuff. Reminds me of the 8mm film craze. I tell you what I'm looking for and hopefully a hybrid will work for me.

Okay, so my wife and I were looking for a digital camera for awhile. We wanted a really good point and shoot but also did videos because we have a 16 month old girl. We were gonna get the canon G7. But we found a Canon Rebel XT for a really great price.

We like the compact look of the hybrids and the price. We easily throw it in the case with the Canon Rebel. Now my questions are, is hybrids video quality only good for the net? How are they on a regular TV? Are they good for a home video camera?

I've been looking at the Apitek DV5900 and the Apitek MPVR 8mp. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks for your time guys.
Zapbranagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:07 PM   #2

I would stay away from the Aiptek MPVR+ 8MP model. It has a very overly sharpened look to it that makes everything look pixelated.

I was in a similar situation as you are just a few weeks ago. My wife has a great little compact digital camera and I have a digital SLR. We also have a Canon MiniDV Camcorder. What we realized is that we rarely ever take the camcorder out because it is harder to lug around. Hybrid video cameras seemed to be the way to go.

Based on my research/experience, here is what I found:

-Understand that these little things aren't going to give you the video quality of a MiniDV camcorder or the picture quality of a good digital camera.

-The Aiptek IS DV-2 ($89 at Target)I got my wife is a cool little camera. It takes pretty good video and images, plus it's tiny.

-The MPVR+ is almost great. It takes better photos than the IS DV-2, has a bit better microphone and also has the ability to record other things (TV, Movies...,) with it's AV in. Unfortunately the video quality lacked in comparison to the IS DV-2.

-I ended up ordering a SVP HDD-8800 ($160 on eBay). It's very similar to the MPVR+ but can record D1 level video. So far it's been much better than the MPVR+ except in certain situations (heavy sunlight/contrast) it produces lines in the video. Hard to explain, but it is a bit annoying. The microphone is a bit weaker than the Aiptek models, but it will pick up most sounds directly in front of it. So far, so good.

-I have no idea why, but I also ended up buying a Sanyo Xacti CG-6 ($299 at Walmart)with the thought that I will sell or return the camera I like least. I may end up keeping the SVP for it's extra features, but the Sanyo is definitely a good leap forward in video and still image quality. The microphone seems light years beyond the SVP and a lot better than the Aipteks. Keep in mind I've only had the Sanyo for a day so I haven't put it through the ringer yet.

Videos from all three cameras on my laptop look very good. Once you compress them for emails, youtube..., there probably isn't going to be a ton of difference. Watching the videos on my TV is another store. The Xacti is much cleaner, smoother and just has a much better quality to it.

So I guess it all depends on what you want. If you want a do it all gadget, the SVP is the best choice. If you want a tiny video/still camera the IS DV-2 or the Sanyo CG6 would work well. If you just want this camera for videos and still images and video quality and sound is important to you, you may want to look at the Sanyo.

puck22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:48 PM   #3

I have a Sanyo C40 and an Aiptek MPVR. As puck22 said, they won't look as good on a TV as a miniDV camera but for casual use they are good enough for my purpose.

Generally they work best on People and buildings as these tend not to have too much detail. Detailed scenes such as woodland and vegetation in general can overload the bandwidth available on these devices. So your 16 month old makes an excellent subject. I myself have a 21 month old son and he is part of the reason also why I have these cameras.

I also used to play around with super 8 film briefly but I would say these devices are even better to use, even if they don't have the same quality when shown on a large TV. For a start they have sound, and in the case of the Sanyo it's in stereo.

I find with a tape camcorder, you end up building a tape library that you hardly get out to view because it's too much effort. Of course you can convert them to DVD's but again the conversion process is often put off whereas these devices are so convenient in that I regularly send video clips to friends and family. This also acts as a sort of disaster backup in that if I lost some video for some reason, there is a good chance I'll be able to get a copy from a friend of relative.

In the end, you have to try one out yourself, to see if you are happy enough with the quality. Some like us, are happy to trade optimum quality for convenience and fun, while for others, only the very best will do.

Also as puck22, said, avoid the MPVR+ and it's namesake the PVR although I understand that bestbuy finally stopped selling that one. The PVR is the MPVR+ under a different name with a black casing. It suffered from video distortion and I had been in contact with Aiptek sending many a test video to help convince them there was a problem. Having said that, the regular MPVR and models such as the IS-DV are ok.

Whatever device you choose, make sure it has at least a 640x480/30fps video mode since there may still be some models only capable of 320x240/30fps.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:03 AM   #4

Wow! Thanks for the great info guys. Puck I was actually looking at a SVP 8800 but wasn't sure how good they were because I couldn't find alot about them on here. I will keep researching. Thanks again guys.
Zapbranagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:13 AM   #5

All I can add to what puck22 and rgvcam said is that the Digilife DDV-920 (aka DDV-1000) deserves a good look in the multifunction hybrid class. Not to mention the Samsung i6, NV3, NV7, NV10 etc. They are PMP cameras with mp3, add optical zooms and super macro mode, but the video quality is a bit more compressed than the typical hybrids.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:46 AM   #6

Icannot add to the best comments but can say

if you need raw footage t 640x480 oneshould DL to upfordown.com a good few minutes, and then you can work with the file to your dvd disk as you requested a response on

" how do the hybrids look on a tv?"

I have used my Aiptek pocket dv5700 for fireworks and the glow was not great iscoloured or aweful

I have the Mustek dv4500 and I gotten a near perfect video to watch on the tv no glitchs

I have filmed with the MPVR and gotten hesitation or freezing

I have filmed with the Is-dv and not yet or have tried a dvd burn

I have filmed with my pro camcorder a Florida road for indoor biking, and came out perfect

all in all and I alwayssay this

"these are pc hybrid camcorders" "not pro camcorders"

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote