Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:01 AM   #1

Hi guys,

i bought the aiptek a-hd a few weeks ago and spent the last few days tearing the thing apart. I got down to the image sensor and am trying to use one of my 16mm c mount lenses on it. I am getting some interesting stuff, but color seems to be an issue. I noticed that on the small plastic lens I removed from the aiptek, that there is a small piece of slightly colored plastic that rests over the image sensor...is something like this required to capture color? When I rig up one of my lenses, i get an almost sepia picture...quality is good, just no color.

Any thoughts? Also, anyone have tips on cleaning an image sensor? I may have dirtied it up during my deconstruction project!

back2brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:48 PM   #2

The standard Aiptek lens has a built in IR Cut filter installed. This is usually a very thin filter that has a greenish or reddish tint to it. This filter blocks the IR light from the sensor. If you installed another lens, odds are it does not have an internal IR filter built in. Look at the inside portion of the cmount lens that sits in front of the sensor. If you dont see a greenish or reddish coating, then that lens is intended to be used with a b/w cmos or CCD sensor. Using a b/w lens with a color CMOS sensor will allow color light to come through and works ok in an inside lighted environment, but if you get outside, you will see that the video gets washed out and most of the color is lost and turned to gray or muted greens and blues.

But, the cool thing about using a b/w lens with a color cmos sensor is that it will now allow the camera to detect infrared light. you can use an infrared light or illuminator at night and it will pick it up with no problem.
jaggermax is offline   Reply With Quote