Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:36 PM   #11

I think sg333. further testing is needed digilife and other companies have this.

if we look at it this way, using a remote I have a delay, on acamera, not my cable box. so better devices proform better. 99.99 you get awefully alot of fun. it is a test I should place outside andsee ifa car passes by it will turn on, nah I already know it will not.

additonal note on detection thezoom will help out but make theq uality less works betterwith the zoom with detection
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:27 PM   #12

Battery test: i sat down, thought I see how long of a record I can get a few stops and starts i got roughly 2 hours of record time.

Very happy tells me 90 minutes for any device is great time if asked.

We can add a higher mah other than 1050, I have a 1200, and can tet out , but we will get about 5-10% more life that wil lbe 2 hrs 12min or so.

will using a battery a modified Plug offer extra battery life , YES

if found the correct adapter you can make a 3AA extended battery with a wire and go directly to its USB port. camera will record with ac charger.

so there you go the very First Mod for the Jazz elite HDV178

Charging with Ac adapter 2 plus hours

Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:52 AM   #13

Hello everyone, first post here. I've been reading this thread as it seems to be the only one on the web with information about the Jazz Elite camcorders. I noticed at the local Walmart the HDV188 model at $149. One difference I see is that its 3 inch LCD monitor is widescreen 16:9, and the HDV178 spoken about here has a 4:3 aspect ratio 2.4 inch LCD monitor. I'm going to buy a HDV188 but have some questions for fishycomics, and others that may have the Jazz Elite camcorders. By the way thanks fishycomics for the videos, a picture is worth a 1000 words, and although this cam's video quality is not perfect, it seems to be a fun toy to play with. And now on to my questions.

1. I'm interested in using the Jazz Elite as a PMP (personal media player), have you been able to load a H.264 video file that was from another source (i.e. TV show, Movie), and play it on the Jazz Elite? Also, if it can play an external video clip, will it play one with a stereo soundtrack, and be able to hear stereo sound through the headphones?
2. Can you monitor in real time (live) what the camcorder lens is capturing on a HD TV using the HDMI cable?
3. fishycomics you speak of using an 8GB SD memory card, but the spec's for the units only state up to a 4GB SD card, which is correct?
4. Can you use the camcorder with its AC adaptor pluged in and be able to use all its functions like, recording, video playback, from AC power?

Thanks for the information supplyed so far, I'll try to add to the information data base when I get the HDV188 on Monday.
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 7:48 AM   #14

Bobcat.welcome avoard.

Researching online, no where to be found, that iswhy when we post to one topic, it directs here top searchs :G In the quote will be the answers:

As for aspect ratio I am not the only one that may see the difference 2.4 inch tft screen may be 4x3 but on the actual footageviewing the playback members are saying 16:9 I am sure it lookson playback 4:3 my tv is too square should be wider. possably the WMP, I am now used to QT LOL

bobcat56458 wrote:

Quote:
1. I'm interested in using the Jazz Elite as a PMP (personal media player), have you been able to load a H.264 video file that was from another source (i.e. TV show, Movie), and play it on the Jazz Elite? Also, if it can play an external video clip, will it play one with a stereo soundtrack, and be able to hear stereo sound through the headphones? as you request , as I answer loading up a test sample on the unit.
Quote:
2. Can you monitor in real time (live) what the camcorder lens is capturing on a HD TV using the HDMI cable? My lcds connection s at the back, RGVcam may try to answer this. I am sure you can, they say the lcdwill be turned of if cables of tvplayback are plugged in.
Quote:
3. fishycomics you speak of using an 8GB SD memory card, but the spec's for the units only state up to a 4GB SD card, which is correct? I am refferring th the HDV178, and tht is correct a 8 gig card will record 4 hrs HD and16 low res, you're refferring to the HDV188 two diiferent camcorders.
Quote:
4. Can you use the camcorder with its AC adaptor pluged in and be able to use all its functions like, recording, video playback, from AC power? Yes it is mentioned in the battery test on the top post, Plug in the unitto the Ac adapter and hit record you got video, I believe you close the door it may stop andshut off, go back to recharging, while recording
Quote:

Thanks for the information supplyed so far, I'll try to add to the information data base when I get the HDV188 on Monday.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 8:17 AM   #15

Thanks for the reply fishycomics, I will be very interested in hearing your results with uploading an external video clip onto the cam. I will be getting the HDV188 later today, and am wondering how long you need to first charge the unit before you can actually use it, is it 8 hours or 2 hours? Also, have you had audio/video sync issues when playing a video clip directly from the SD memory card on your computer?
Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:11 AM   #16

Bobcat....

The first time you place in 8 hours as instruction, ac adapter charge runs around 4 hours, so time it and when finished that is the charging time. give or take depending on battery

And you get up to 2 hours of live recording time, not 2 hour charge time

Play time all depends on how you use it.

Movie PMP:

Arcsoft media converter 2.5 isgiven. Load it up, place file, direct file to device, or card etc, when it is finished the file if named FILE0001, JAzz elite.mov etc, will NOW be converted to CLIP0001, and play in the unit before we used to have to name it, and make sure notto overwrite.

video sample: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7DZCZE9K

Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:42 AM   #17

Thanks for running that test fishycomics, I'll be trying this all out tonight after work and I have finished charging the battery. You have been very helpfull!
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:05 AM   #18

Thank you for the Compliment

no matter if it is the 178 or 188, you be pleased, let me know how the menu and fonts are if bigger LOL.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:14 AM   #19

I just charged the device until the LED stopped flashing and the battery said full. I think the 8 hours charging time is not necessary. They all say that but with Lithium Ion Batteries I don't think this is needed anymore and anyway it's not like the NP60 is that expensive or hard to get hold of! The device gets quite warm while charging so I don't like leaving it charging any longer than necessary.

Fishycomics, you said you got 2 hours recording time? That's very impressive indeed. More than enough for any event I am likely to use it for.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 1:44 PM   #20

Has anyone got video samples of the jazz 188-odys or esaypix clones
podger is offline   Reply With Quote