Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:47 AM   #11

Trevmar wrote:
VirtualDub works fine to Trim files when you use AVIsynth as a frame-server. You can also trim the file in AVIsynth, once you locate the frame numbers for start and stop with VirtualDub (see the last line of the script below)

Here is a relatively complex AVisynth script:

BilinearResize(960,528 )

You could do the resize and trim in Virtualdub, of course. the $15 CoreAVC is a perfect H.264 decoder codec.

This method wil re-encode the video, but with H.264 encoders as good as x264, that is of course what you want to do. You will get a more efficient final file packing density.
Yes I think I'll try that coreavc. Seems a good price. They say it works in Vista-64 in 32-bit compatibility mode (which virtualdub does anyway) and will make use of multi core cpus.

I noticed that more and more Laptops and PC's are coming with Vista 64 already installed so hopefully unlike 64 bit XP which was a dead duck, Vista 64 will take off. In fact it already is showing signs of doing so.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 9:06 AM   #12

I currently have Adobe Premier elements 4 and Ulead VideoStudio 11 plus on trial. With Ulead I already had a problem which I fixed with a DirectX update. I use Pinnacle Studio at work and quite like it, but they have no trial for their current versions although they did say it will work under Vista 64-bit.

What amazes me, are the reviews for many of these products. It doesn't seem any of them get particularly decent reviews and the latest of version of Pinnacle Studio gets poor reviews which surprised me as I have used it at work and at home when it came with a capture card many years ago.

Both Ulead and Adobe seem to burn to my DVD burner under 64-bit which is good news. Adobe told me that they are working on 64-bit versions of their products.

One thing I did notice is that Adobe premiere seems to be the only bit of softare I have used so far that utilizes all four cores of my CPU at near 100% when converting etc.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote