Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 10, 2008, 7:02 AM   #1

I saw this new Jazzcam model at Walmart for $29.84. Looks like a Flip Video clone. No idea what the specs are as I can't find it on their website. They all seem to be doing this lately don't they? ie not placing the model on their website that is. At least initially anyway. Still for under $30, if the video was as good as my old Aiptek IS-DV, I certainly wouldn't complain for $30.
Attached Images
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:34 AM   #2

What resolutions?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:15 PM   #3

I couldn't find any information about it and the cabinet was locked. As I had no intention of buying it I didn't bother to waste someones time to unlock it just to look at it. I thought perhaps I might find info on their website or elsewhere but I was wrong of course.

I would hope that it isn't 320x240 which of course is a good possibility at that price. Still considering my HDV178 only cost $99 it isn't unreasonable to assume it might actually be 640x480 at a reasonable bitrate. I doubt it's anywhere as good as a flip but if it's acceptable, then I'd consider it a good purchase at 1/4 the price.

I suspect it's going to be a letdown but then as I say the HDV178 was a nice surprise for it's price.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:44 PM   #4

Since RGV left number out jazz DV15X its the 151 320x240 up to 30 fps videoresolution hi quality :GAVI file format

Online 44 and higher

[*]One of the HOTTEST cameras on the market today! [/*][*]With the Jazz® DV151Pocket Camcorder, you'll experience power and simplicityfromthe palm ofyour hand. [/*][*]Capture the everyday moments that happen anywhere, and share them with family and friends everywhere. [/*][*]TheJazz® simple, one-touch recording and compact size make it the ideal choice for shooting video on the go. [/*][*]Capture memories as they happen, it s incredibly simple to record, zoom, playback or delete your videos. [/*][*]With 2GB of memory capacity, a high-quality microphone and no-glare display, now anyone can make impressive videos. [/*][*]The convenient pop-up USB plugs directly into your laptop or computer for easy sharing, archiving and e-mailing. [/*][*]Built-in software lets you easily e-mail videos, share them on YouTube, edit footage, and capture still photos from video. [/*][*]The 180° dual direction screen is great for normal or self-portrait videos. [/*][*]The Jazz®Pocket Camcorder with its portable easy-to-use design, makes itsimple to create and sharehigh quality home movies. [/*][*]Features: [/*]
  • 1.5" LCD preview screen [/*]
  • 180° dual direction screen [/*]
  • 60 minutes high quality record time with 2GB SD card (SD card not included) [/*]
  • Pop-up USB connector [/*]
  • 4x Digital Zoom [/*]
  • TV out Socket [/*]
  • Built-in Microphone and speaker [/*]
  • AVI File Format [/*]
  • Video Resolution 320x240 / 30fps [/*]
  • Lens F3.0, f=5.4mm [/*]
  • Focus Standard mode 1.4m to infinity [/*]
  • Requires 2 'AA' batteries (not included)[/*]
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:54 PM   #5

I managed to find them in another branch of Walmart on a rack although they'd still locked them down making it difficult to see the back. I managed to glean from the info that it actually lists a 640x480 sensor which makes it odd that it only records in 320x240 format since it doesn't seem to take still images as far as I can see.

Also I wonder what codec it uses since it lists that 2GB holds only 60 minutes which is the same recording time as the Jazz HDV178 in Hidef mode! If this is the case then 320x240 might actually be fairly decent if your only intention is youtube.com etc.