Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Default Investigator needs help on camera purchase

Hello i am hoping this forum will be of some help for me.

I am looking for either a hard drive camcorder or a flash drive camcorder.

by boss is partial to sony to so i have been looking at their sr47 and the sx 40.

Can anyone give me some pros and cons to hard drive vs. flash drive?

My only requirements are under 450, can turn on and record fast, as much zoom as possible, and only need usually 45 minutes and under of video (more capacity is nice but no neccisary). video quality is really last on the list, however it woudl be nice to make out what i am filming.

Last question. how many hours/minutes can you get on a 2, 4, 8 flash drive???

JCWILSON64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:42 AM   #2

Hi and welcome, JCWILSON64.

Okay regarding the hdd vs flash, I've found an article that explains it better than I can, so if you're up for some reading, follow the link below.

I personally think a Flash based camcorder would be suitable for you, if you don't need to record for hours.

The Sony SX40 looks nice and with a 4GB built-in flash storage. Sony says 55 min. of HQ video and if you need more then record in lower SP quality(85m). Or you could buy additional flash memory as in Sony's proprietary "Memory Stick PRO Duo". These are more expensive than SDHC flash memory. If zoom is important then also consider the Panasonic SDR-S26, which also is a flash based camcorder but with 70x zoom and OIS. The Panasonic doesn't have built-in flash storage but uses the cheaper SD/SDHC flash memory. It also claims a 0.8 sec quick startup.

I think for these standard definition flash based camcorders recording in MPEG2, you can get around 50-60 min. of video in highest quality video setting on to 4GB memory.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote