Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 26, 2009, 7:43 PM   #1
Default Vivitar 850w Video Samples

A friend recently purchased this camera from Walmart for $99:

He took it on a trip to Mexico. He just wanted a cheap waterproof camera to have fun with and as video samples of these type of cameras are often few and far between, I thought I'd post some sample videos that he let me have for this purpose.

Considering the premium that is usually attached to waterproof cameras, the price on this is quite reasonable for the video quality. It's basically an Aiptek MPVR video quality wise in a waterproof casing.

The only problem with this camera is the non existent sound if you use it as a regular camera. If you thought the Aiptek GVs mic was over driven then this one is way under driven! I can only assume it has something to do with trying to reduce the sound sensitivity in water as it picks up the impact of the water quite loud compared to regular audio. Perhaps the mic is just too well enclosed as any impact noise is noticeable too.

Anyway here are some videos. The last one a compilation of clips.

Also of note, the first one he tried out in the sea, ended up with water inside even though he had properly locked it down yet the second one worked great he said.

I have to say though that the gasket on the cover over the USB and memory card only just seems sufficient for the job and it makes me wonder if slight variations may be enough to explain the ones that fail to work. It will be interesting to see if the ones that do work, stay that way or they too fail over time due to the gasket wearing or hardening etc.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links