Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:29 PM   #1

Default Hd-50z

Found this on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Japan-Camcorder-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Model:SPEED HD-50Z High Definition H.264 DV CameraSensor:1/2.5” 5.0 Mega-Pixel SensorMax. Resolution:Fine 12.0 Mega-Pixel ( Firmware Interpolation )Lens :5X Optical Zoom Lens
Wide : F3.5~F32, f=6.8mm
Tele : F3.7~F33.8, f=34mm ( 38-190mm equivalent to 135mm )Zoom:Movie 50X (5X Optical Zoom, 10X Digital Zoom)
Camera 50X (5X Optical Zoom, 10X Digital Zoom)
Still Image Playback Digital Zoom Max. 8XFocus RangeNormal) Wide: 10cm ~ infinity; Tele: 1m ~ infinity
(Marco) Wide: 2 ~ 80cmWhite Balance:Auto / Sunny / Cloudy / Tungsten / FluorescentExposure:-2.0EV ~ +2.0EV Color Effects:Color / B&W / SepiaLED Light (Video):On / Off
Effective Range 0.5m ~ 1mStrobe (Camera):Auto / Forced / OffLCD Display:3.0” 16:9 TFT LCD Touch Display ( 960 x 240 Pixels )Storage Media:Built-in 128MB Flash Memory ( 80MB available )Memory Card Slot:SDHC Card (Up to 16GB Class 6)Movie Clips:Format H.264 (MOV)
Resolution 1080P(30fps), 720P(60fps), 720P(30fps), WVGA(60fps), WVGA(30fps), WQVGA(240fps)
Dual Video recording simultaneously : 1080P+WQVGA, 720P+WQVGA
Still Image Format JPEG (EXIF2.2)
Resolution 1M / 2M / 5M / 12M ( Interpolation )
Aspect Ratio : 4:3 / 16:9 / 3:2
Support Continuous Shots
Self-Timer : Off / 5sec / 10secElectronics Image Stabilizer :YesInterface:PC : USB 2.0 (High Speed)
Video : NTSC / PAL / HDMI (1080i Output)Setup Language:English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, German, Italian, Spanish, French, Turkish, Portuguese, Dutch, Japanese, Russian, Korean and Arabic.Auto Power Off:Off / 5 min / 10 minShutter:Still : 1/2 ~ 1/2000
Video : 1/30 ~ 1/4000Power Source:NP-120 Li-ion batteryAccessories:Li-ion Battery
USB Cable / AV Cable
HDMI Cable
110-240v Battery Charger
CD-ROM driver disc
Camera Pouch
User’s ManualWeight:292g (Batteries Exclusive)Dimension:57 (W) x 70 (H) x 129 (D)mmSupported OS:Windows Vista / XP (32bit)

*Note the WQVGA (240)fps and Dual Video recording simultaneously : 1080P+WQVGA,720P+WQVGA

Last edited by NuttySquirrel; Sep 10, 2009 at 9:05 PM.
NuttySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:48 AM   #2

I think i want to buy this!!!

anybody have any comments or reviews?

Is this like any name brand model like the canon or sony version that looks the same but is labeled differently?

can anyone help?

thanks
intenceicei5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:36 AM   #3

Welcome intenceicei5.

This camera is NOT the same as Canon or Sony camcorders. It may have a similar design to Sony HDR-CX series of camcorders but the Japan-camera SPEED HD-50z is a low-end/low-budget camera brand. Hence the low price compared to a Sony, Canon, Panasonic etc. But compare it with other low-end brand names such as Aiptek, DXG, JAZZ etc., it could be a good camera choice.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:55 AM   #4

Interesting feature: Dual Video recording simultaneously : 1080P+WQVGA, 720P+WQVGA

Seems like a marketing gimmick to me, as I really don't see a lot of point in this. I guess the only advantage would be in situations where you need both a minimal resolution version and HD version yet can't/don't want to spend the time in conversion. But considering youtube etc now accept 720p videos this is redundant anyway.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:54 AM   #5

I just bought this camera, less than 2 weeks old, you need to use HDMI cable to watch in HD.
Setback:-
1) No date stamp,
2) Simple in-accurate analog battery indicator,
3) Cannot power on the unit with USB DC-in adapter,
4) Suppose to be able to charge battery with USB DC-in adapter but mine doesn't work,
5) Distortion and noisy audio when playback from unit,
6) and if you intend to have the unit for your travel be sure you get additional batteries and battery chargers too!,
7) Poor response from my distributor and manufacturer on feedback.
Consider carefully on the batteries and chargers before you buy
Yewhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 2:45 AM   #6

Yewhy I was considering trying this camcorder, what are your thoughts of the video besides the other problems. I'm guessing you wouldn't recommend this camera?
mainsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:49 AM   #7

Most of those problems are common to other camcorders. The only one of real concern is "Distortion and noisy audio when playback from unit,".

Now when you say distortion, do you mean the video or just the audio? If just the audio then that's not uncommon either as most inexpensive camcorders don't have great audio playback on the unit.

The real concern is that the video and audio is ok when played back on a PC etc.

Could you post a couple of video clip samples?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 1:18 AM   #8

Default Speed HD-50Z no problems

I'm new to digicams. my last cam was a VHSC, and ive been using a 5mp HPdigi camera for a few years, so this was a bit of an eye opener!
Bought from Kat-Ki Electronics as a bundled offer (4gb memory, spare battery, travel adapter) plus the usual extras. Arrived in two days
(HongKong to UK) Unpacked charged up and away we go.
Everything appears to do what it says on the box-mines got a date stamp, its not noisy, and an HDMI cable came with it. The beeps a bit irritating but you can turn it of, but it does tell you when youve taken a still pic, by making the sound of a shutter! Useful as the shutter time lag is a bit long!
Very easy intuative controls, a bit tricky to get used to the size, when youre used to a vhs cam! Plugs straight into my Toshiba 42" Regza Z, an is immediatly recognised as a cam via the regza link. Sound and picture quality very good - lots of shake rattle and roll, but thats me getting used to the size. Good settings for exposure and colour, and having a xenon flash, as well as an led light is a bonus.
I've only used it on 60fps at present (720p and WVGA) and the picture quality is very good.
The still pics, once you get the settings right (thats me) are outstanding for a hybrid camera.
All in all a brilliant bit of kit that feels well built and works, Particularly at the price, plus the fact most of my use is for fun not high end serious work
If you want a camera with all the bells and whistles and a fancy name,
spend another 400=00,
I'll stick with this one
Roobarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 5:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobarb View Post
I'm new to digicams. my last cam was a VHSC, and ive been using a 5mp HPdigi camera for a few years, so this was a bit of an eye opener!
Bought from Kat-Ki Electronics as a bundled offer (4gb memory, spare battery, travel adapter) plus the usual extras. Arrived in two days
(HongKong to UK) Unpacked charged up and away we go.
Everything appears to do what it says on the box-mines got a date stamp, its not noisy, and an HDMI cable came with it. The beeps a bit irritating but you can turn it of, but it does tell you when youve taken a still pic, by making the sound of a shutter! Useful as the shutter time lag is a bit long!
Very easy intuative controls, a bit tricky to get used to the size, when youre used to a vhs cam! Plugs straight into my Toshiba 42" Regza Z, an is immediatly recognised as a cam via the regza link. Sound and picture quality very good - lots of shake rattle and roll, but thats me getting used to the size. Good settings for exposure and colour, and having a xenon flash, as well as an led light is a bonus.
I've only used it on 60fps at present (720p and WVGA) and the picture quality is very good.
The still pics, once you get the settings right (thats me) are outstanding for a hybrid camera.
All in all a brilliant bit of kit that feels well built and works, Particularly at the price, plus the fact most of my use is for fun not high end serious work
If you want a camera with all the bells and whistles and a fancy name,
spend another 400=00,
I'll stick with this one
Roobarb,

Welcome Aboard.

You hit it right on the head.

these are a Pc low budget economy hybrid camcorder. 5-n-1 vid , still, voice, webcam. and tvplayback, ifthey are just a video, and still. then they are not a full hybrid. Enjoy.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 5:34 AM   #10

Hi Folks, new to this forum ......

Was wondering if anyone could offer advice .....

I do a bit of fun video and enjoy the editing side of things with AVI MPEG and MOV clips, at present I simply use an ordinary digital camera that has a video option its the Pentax optio W30 7.1MP (waterproof).

would the camcorder above HD-50Z offer me better quality?

Does anyone have any samples to post to show the quality obtainable from this unit (maybe I`m in the wrong thread here, just a beginner)

this is an example of the sort of thing I like to put together ... hope its ok to post here ...

http://www.vimeo.com/6131919

Oh and (cos it`s difficult to cut through all the jargon) would the output of this still be available to be copied to pc and used as edits via an SD card in mpeg or mov or avi format?

Many Thanks

Norman

Last edited by NormanW; Oct 10, 2009 at 5:46 AM.
NormanW is offline   Reply With Quote