Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 7, 2011, 12:36 AM   #1371

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
I have always use MI and have the latest version but, I could not find where it has slo-mo function before saving...
I think it's under EDIT in ArcSoft MediaImpressions for Kodak-
there is a Speed drop down box
to allow choosing from 1/5x to 5x
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 4:19 AM   #1372

Many thanks for the tip/guide, I had to make the movie first, then right click on the frame to get edit, the speed box for this newer version is at the bottom right hand corner with the rest of the FX on the left side. I use still photos to try out first, they are about 3 seconds each, then slowed down to 1/3 speed, remove the audio then click ok, add audio on the main screen and save it. All together just over a minute long. Its now posted in YT here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsX_qcsmgHE

By the way, I use this video to advertise my in-law's vehile for sale so please ignore the phone number unless you are in the market for a Camry
Cheers, max

ok, I tried to upload a different slo-mo video that actually uses motion video but for the last 2 day, Y/T keep telling me they can not convert my video format (which is no differnt than what i have done using MI before...

Last edited by maxhuey; May 14, 2011 at 2:49 PM.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 5:03 PM   #1373

Compared to many I am still a neophyte in video.

However I have done still photography for decades (film)
and shoot a lot of digital photography -
so hopefully I do know a thing or two about image quality.

I also am an audio enthusiast - my budget does not extend to true high end audiophile equipment - but I know I have good ears and have critical listening ability.

I also read a lot on image quality (both stills and video) and audio quality - so hopefully I am not a complete novice.

I have a Kodak Zi8 - bought because from the test/sample videos I've seen it seemed to be the best from any HD Pocket camcorder
(there might be better out there now -
but not enough for me to be concerned)

Sound quality?
It's more than adequate even via the built-in mono microphone,
no, it is not high end Hi-Fi - but then it's not rubbish either -
I think "more than adequate" is a fair assessment.
Of course using good stereo external microphones does improve the sound quality -
but then the Zi8 is limited by its audio recording rate of 128kbps (48kHz AAC) - a bit better - but it is still "more than acceptable".

I bought my Zi8 mainly to video/record clips of music - out at gigs where I am doing my still photography.

I currently don't have any published on YouTube mainly because my internet broadband is relatively slow - fast enough for browsing and watching YouTube at its default 360p
- but to upload a 200Mb file would take nearly 4.5 hours for me......

However I have now shot quite a few video clips of music (always an acid test for audio) -
some of which I have given to the artists - and some have now uploaded them to YouTube - so I can now actually show (off ) a couple of them -

These are from one of my favorite local bands - who do Django (Rhienhardt) gypsy jazz music - Bonaventure Quartet -
it is under their YouTube account -
but if you read the notes -
these videos are credited to Unknown Vincent (me):

The Bonaventure Quartet plays Swing 48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-1c47wuPmc
3:31

The Bonaventure Quartet plays Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1B2D9llJPg
4:43
Both shot at 720p/30fps (built-in mic).

Please enjoy!

EDIT to ADD -
just to give those videos a little context here's a stills shot I posted:

ISO800, f/2.8, 1/50; 6mm
Look at that exposure ISO800 which is the sensitivity limit for the Zi8 and 1/50 (@ f/2.8 - the same max aperture for the Zi8) - so this video could not have been shot at 60fps without dropping frames or slowing the frame rate - depending on how the Zi8 would react. So even though it is outdoors - the light was marginal for 720p/30fps.

......wait till you see the conditions of the big band videos......

Last edited by UnknownVT; May 30, 2011 at 3:13 PM.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:57 AM   #1374

Ha! I found a couple more of my musical videos with the Zi8 on YouTube -
they're not credited - but I did take them on my Zi8

These are those big band with female singer videos I had mentioned elsewhere:

All that Jazz Jessie Davis and the Drive By Big Band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a7X1GLfj98
4:33

How High the Moon Jessie Davis and the Drive By Big Band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPRaYiZdZOc
2:39
Please enjoy!

EDIT to ADD -
to give some context to the lighting conditions of those videos:

ISO5000, f/3.5, 1/25; 18mm

er-hum that's ISO5000 - that's 2.7 stops compared to ISO800 the max sensitivity of the Zi8
f/3.5 - 0.7 stops difference to Zi8 max aperture of f/2.8 -
then 1/25 sec - which is slower than even 30fps......
so we are talking about -2.3 stops darker than what is theoretically comfortable the Zi8 - ISO800, f/2.8 and 30fps (has to be slightly faster than 1/30 sec) -
so it is not surprising that the videos are a little on the dark side -
but amazing now that I actually know the lighting levels........

Last edited by UnknownVT; May 30, 2011 at 3:09 PM.
Old May 29, 2011, 7:38 PM   #1375

Default Finally!

I had a hard time uploading any video to YT for quite sometime (always getting conversion error) but today, I was able to modify my friend's video to 1/2 speed and add music (more problems here later) and it upload without error.

Music problem: I was able to record a song (I wanna be free) by the Monkeys years ago but YT keep disabling it due to copyright! I had to use another song from Taiwan...

here is the new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ewWIfQtVlU

1/2 speed slo-mo make the plane fly quite smooth...

Last edited by maxhuey; May 29, 2011 at 7:41 PM.
Old May 30, 2011, 4:40 PM   #1376

Hi everybody, not long ago I bought a Kodak Zi8 and I wanted to know if something can be done so that it can focus from 20cm or 30 cm. Are there any lens or something that works? Thank you.
KhalDrogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 5:00 PM   #1377

meaning sticking a aftermarkets lens barrel, yes, some will tear off the outer lens and go rightto the sensor, while others will adapt theri own ring.
Old May 31, 2011, 7:02 PM   #1378

There's a Fireman made of....

There's a a man made of mufflers...

and today there is this I seen, caught my eye. quickly I grabbed a shot. I as well, now must dig up old photo's, of art work, one day love to do some type of deco , but knowing metal is valuable to others as $$$ what we become for a few measly bucks.

Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:32 PM   #1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
Hi everybody, not long ago I bought a Kodak Zi8 and I wanted to know if something can be done so that it can focus from 20cm or 30 cm. Are there any lens or something that works? Thank you.
I bought a 2X wide angle lense when I was in Hong Kong. This is a 2 part lense with magnetic type holder, universally use for cell phone camera, etc. Removing front lense turn it into a macro that can shoot extremely close -within an inch or two to the subject. I'll post a picture when I get home...

By the way, here is the latest edition of the video I posted earlier in YT. Edited to match the music length and credits given

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXIA2EmX-bA
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:07 AM   #1380

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
OK for starters the Kodak Zi8 has everything in focus from 100cm to infinity -
then in its macro mode the focus is about 15cm (Kodak Zi8 specs)

To get the Zi8 to focus somewhere between 20-30cm what is needed is a close-up lens of about +1 or +2 diopter with the Zi8 set on its normal view (ie: not macro) You can read about close-up lenses here.

A +1 diopter close-up lens will allow focus at about 11.5" = 29.2cm
+2 diopter will be in focus around 9" = 22.8cm.

The depth of field (range of focus/sharpness) will be dependent on what you find acceptable - but normally in still photography this is very shallow.

Close-up lenses can be found in most camera stores they are normally sold at various filter thread sizes, larger the more expensive - since the Zi8 lens is tiny, almost any size including the smallest/cheapest you can find will give adequate coverage.

You will have to be inventive about how to mount the lens (eg: Blu-Tack),
or just literally hold it in front of the Zi8 lens.

Also as suggested above, a wide-angle adapter lens may give focus to closer than 100cm - but obviously will change the angle of view.

Last edited by UnknownVT; Jun 2, 2011 at 1:10 AM.