Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 11, 2009, 7:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
The Kodak Zi8 isa Cmos sensor 1 / 4.5–type 1.6 MP CMOS.
This must be a mistake. 1.6mp is not 2mp fullHD, and unless it is something like a 16:9 sensor (unlikely) it will not even give 1440*1080p. You would basically be left with a glorified 720p60 upscaling camera. That sensor size and resolution is the same as mine, it is not so great for latitude and noise either, but hopefully it is an upgraded version at least.

If you have any contacts at Kodak, you might ask them if this is a mistake (the spec of the sensor on last years 720p model). Otherwise, people might as well check out the Samsung and RCA 1080p models.

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.156585800
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 7:45 AM   #12

The similar DXG 720p 576 (or was that 567) also has the simple icon system (very very simple). I have had one here, and tested against the Hi-speed, and returned it (was showing trash on screen, not as good in exposure, possibly more noise, and purple/noise columns in the image. I think it had a sensor problem, possibly a lower B or C grade version, but that is what the faulty Aiptek that beat it is like also).
Old Oct 11, 2009, 7:53 AM   #13

1st week in January, times in ambarella, usual ces chipset announcements (Sanyo should also be announcing soon or early next year). So maybe it will have 60i/p 1080p at that time.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 5:13 PM   #14

That is what their specs say on the website and it's not without precedent as the HDC-SD10 that Juggernauter has, also has a CMOS sensor that appears to be far smaller than a full HD image would need. It is even worse in that it only has 1.47MP of which 1.17MP is effective.

I cannot see how they can achieve Full HD without interpolation and wonder why they are doing this. What would be the advantage unless they are achieving better low light performance at the expense of resolution. Even the still images are interpolated.

If this is the case then this is deception. I thought we were moving away from this kind of thing.

Out of interest I had an online chat with their tech support about this and the person seemed really vague. I don't know if they just really didn't seem to know the answer or were skirting around it!. The tech person seemed to be confusing the issue of still images and video saying at one point that video uses different units ie fps instead of MP! Anyway perhaps they are just not privy to that depth of technical information. So I am none the wiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
This must be a mistake. 1.6mp is not 2mp fullHD, and unless it is something like a 16:9 sensor (unlikely) it will not even give 1440*1080p. You would basically be left with a glorified 720p60 upscaling camera. That sensor size and resolution is the same as mine, it is not so great for latitude and noise either, but hopefully it is an upgraded version at least.

If you have any contacts at Kodak, you might ask them if this is a mistake (the spec of the sensor on last years 720p model). Otherwise, people might as well check out the Samsung and RCA 1080p models.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:05 PM   #15

Kodak has made the Zi8 the Most Basic camcorder, with a Still setting of only 16:9 ratio for a 5 meg picture. Roughly about 1.75 MB-3.MB of file size 3072x1728 . Infinity Mode will double the capacity file size 3 plus meg, while macro is half the capacity size 1.6. All depends on the info you're shooting? If the CMOS sensor's size for a still is at the requirements for a 5 MB camera, will this be sufficient for HD1080P (1920x1080), or do we need a larger CMOS sensor, that is my question, I am no pro, but am quite satisfied, by what Kodak has done with their product.

I- keyword, Observed. The video in a few, various ways, and a Blue sky, WOW!, and overcast, impressed, and Dark,and Wee hours ( my own clips, and stills). I have watched almost every clip out there, and rather be on the sideline, I felt I go to bat, and try this for myself.

Placing my other cams to the side, and going back to a first time user:
I Will tell you WOW! You want to delete, hit the delete button, you want playback, hit the playback, you want to get back to live feed hit he camcorder, you want the tools hit the tools, and chose the icon, and highlight the check. It is that Simple.

You want something you can get lost in the controls and complications, this is not that camcorder for you, it's a camcorder, catered to the ease of shooting video right out of the box, a disposable camcorder that can be purchased, click and go.

There are many missing features, and functions that I am sure firmware will not fix, they will correct all this with the newer Model I am hoping

Since it is a camcorder, they left out the self timer
Since it is a single Mode still, they left out the white balance, and EV setting.

Other companies are heading that direction while more Automatic or electronics can correctly adjust today. that is why we do not see a flash, they are increasing the ISO etc, etc.

They left display icons out for Stabilization, face detect, Ext Mic, I can go on and on, but these are my only Observations.

Kodak already tested, with their in house people so why are we the one's to correctly point out the Obvious?

What I find interesting, my DOD f200hd files and renaming only the file, without converting will play in the Kodak zi8, when I had to convert the Aipteks etc, etc. it is funny why Kodak did not call this a PMP player as well. You have Arcsoft to thank for that.

While I am rendering 5 clips in magix.Com's software i am fine (hd1080P) when I render over 10 plus, I either get a close , error, and allocations, with a hp1070n fully maxed with memory. I have yet to load media Impressions, and will demo how to load with the Kodak, and this tells me , if I want to continue with HUD video's I must upgrade to a more powerful PC, or switch to my mac

I hope that my opinion was on a positive note, and have made sense to all, I do apologies for my crammer. I do my best to enjoy the fun we have her, and that my review will helped in any way in your decision of a camcorder, never being a sales person, on that note

I thank you....fishy.

Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:04 PM   #16

From http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...i8-review.html

Kodak Zi8 Features:
  • 5MP, 1/2.5-inch CMOS imaging sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post

parocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by parocks View Post

Kodak Zi8 Features:
Thank you for pointing his review out, I go way more into a real review, with I many , many videos and ictures, and always to come. showing the good, the bad, and the Ugly side.
neverdid I receive a camera or was asked, but alwys Purchased my units while I am sure Stevesforums has received theirs from ,many manufacturers.
And finally glad he did not usehis repeated M&M pic. LOL

Does he mention all the pro's and Con's see below all the Missing items bad points as well the good points at the page one thank you

1. rubber covers are a poor design to flexable.
2. Mouse/nav just a little sensitive over shoots the options
3. Ext mic Icon missing
4. Anti shake icon missing
5. face detection icon missing
6. Whitebalance not ofered
7. Ev -2-+2 not offered
8 storage size left. no info for cam
9. storage of cam no info on screen except when choosing video in minutes
10. Auto Off only no 1 min,3, min, or 5 min.
11. Self Timer, no way to take a self pic,not even off the video on the cam, Just film 15 scs, and edit on the program.

Software: Arcsoft.
1 SlowPc's suffer the most, Mac users Do not get ANY software, Just the SIngle drive (externa) Internal recognised, when card is out of cam.

3rd party magix movie edit pro 12,14,15, fewer clips , less troubles . a force to more powerful, pcs and macs when hd1080p is used. HD1080p is the hardest to correctly rennder try less clips testing other resolutions.

Defects:
1. Face detect will display constant at times,
2. picsoon to come
Dead Pixal located on lower left (my unit)

Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 13, 2009 at 3:17 AM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
Out of interest I had an online chat with their tech support about this and the person seemed really vague. I don't know if they just really didn't seem to know the answer or were skirting around it!. The tech person seemed to be confusing the issue of still images and video saying at one point that video uses different units ie fps instead of MP! Anyway perhaps they are just not privy to that depth of technical information. So I am none the wiser.
Maybe most of this. It is usually best to ask for tech support, or the tech section. Support people can have little training. My Internet service provider is very much like that, support people following scripts rather then reading and addressing the question/problem, just find a script that may match and cut, and paste.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 5:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by parocks View Post

Kodak Zi8 Features:
Thank goodness, the kzi8 is back in the fray. I thought it must have been a mistake, usually is with the better companies. 5mpixel is a bit on the light side these days, but at least it is more true, and 1/2.5 is better than 1/4, and helps compensate if the sensor technologies performance is not the highest in the fist place.

Realistically, we need 1/2 - 2/3rd inch, especially for the 8mp+ true native resolutions, but upcoming performance sensor technologies may make that fairly negligible on the low end.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 5:35 AM   #20

Now a question for the future, which codec is it using, that ambarella based one, or are they using something based on the chip-set family they used on previous still cameras?